STOP AND READ THIS NOW!!! :)
FROM NOW ON FOR ALL BLOGS ... You click BELOW the post title (this post's title is "Theatre History Blog 2") on the word "comments" (under this paragraph) which is to the right of "Posted by Mr. Williams." There will be a number in front of "comments" like "0 comments." Click THERE ... do NOT click on "New Post"! Click on "COMMENTS"...
DUE WEDNESDAY 9/1/10 BY 8:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG 2 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Paul Cianciolo response to Blog 2:
ReplyDeleteI believe that the Lion in Winter is one of the greatest examples of allowing an audience to experience emotion. Henry II’s (Peter O’Toole) words speak louder than his actions by how brilliant he expresses his feelings. He is able to put all of the disappointments that his sons have ever given him into just a few words. He is betrayed by his only three sons who want a part of his empire after he dies. He is happy to give it to the son that is most worthy, but all of them are as greedy as he is. Henry’s sons don’t appreciate there father and they all believe that they deserve something from him. Their desires eventually turn them to betray their father, but Henry’s outburst briefly brings the family to the realization that they are truly selfish beasts. Betrayal is a part of all of our lives. The ways we are betrayed might not be as tumultuous as Henry II, but we all can relate to the deep anger that comes with lies.
I believe the most difficult connector to enjoy theatrically is change. Change is a difficult action to deal with in any area or culture. Most change sadly comes from negative effects in the past that result in change in the future. Change requires a lot out of a person. Making yourself give up something you love is a very difficult act that requires a lot of courage. These plays that revolve around change might sometimes show the bright side of change, but the truth is that all change has its rough spots.
In reference to Blog 2
ReplyDeleteThe topic that I chose is the Role of the Audience, because I love to be entertained. That's why I have chosen the Blue Man Group/ Stomp. I've seen the Stomp group before, and I love to be entertained like that. I love the aspect of the audiences also, I love all the noises and sounds that come from the crowds, and from the performers, I also love to feel the energy of the audiences in that sort of situation. Well in the Blue Man Group video, you can tell that the audience is really enjoying the show, by the sound of them in the background, and you can almost feel the vibes coming from them, by when the Blue man Group would change up on different pipes. The same goes for Stomp, the fans loved it when they're just drumming, and making all sorts of interesting noises with objects, and you can also tell by the expression on the performers faces that they are really just giving it their all, and they're also having a good time performing for the audience too. The hardest connecter for me to probably enjoy in Theatre is teaches us from the past, because that just really doesn't sound that interesting to me, I enjoy more of the musical type. But everyone has their own opinions about what they like or dislike about it.
Ben Haynes in response to Blog 2:
ReplyDeleteThe role, or function, of theatre that most appeals to me as an audience member would have to be that theatre provides us a source of entertainment. The reason I chose this personally would have to be the influences in my own individual daily life which may include my economic, social, and global background. By providing me with a source of entertainment, I can leave behind my everyday life and enter a world of a make-believe existence. The reason why the Blue Man Group provided me with entertainment was because it is not every day that I witness three blue men drumming on pipes with a rock band in the background. The rhythm and music also gave me and entertaining feel as well. Stomp, as well, had the aspects of rhythm and music but used props such as trash cans and other tools that are not ordinary to use to make music. Both sources helped me escape into that make-believe existence, making my theatre experience worthwhile, enjoyable, entertaining, and exciting. Not only is that the actors/theatre affects us as the audience but we affect the actors as well. If it wasn’t for us audience members that seek entertainment from theatre, the show wouldn’t have every happened because there would be no incentive to create such theatre. So we affect the theatre/actors and vice versa.
My response to Connor Ross:
ReplyDeleteI agree with why you love to be entertained by the Blue Man Group/Stomp as well. The excitement the actors and the feel of energy they put out to the crowd really does make the whole experience meaningful.
Will Grisanti in response to Blog 2:
ReplyDeleteThe topic that I chose to respond to is topic number two. I chose topic number because I love to be entertained and I have seen the Blue Man Group before in person and thought and that that it was awesome. This aspect of theatre that connects me as an audience member is that I love to be entertained in some form of entertainment that is loud, funny, and that gets the audience involved in the action. I don't like going to a performance that I have to sit there and be quiet and listen and watch, Im just not that type of person. I like the plays to be interactive and that keep going off of the audiences' reactions. The specific video examples that touch on my answer is in the Blue Man Group because if you listen to the audience they are actually talking and screaming and whistling in excitment because they cannot belive the performance is so awesome. The part of theatre that would be hard for me to enjoy would have to be the part that teaches us about the past. I just don't think that sounds very entertaining and I am not interested in the past. I do not like shows or performances like that that show me about the past or something that you learn from.
Will Grisanti's response to Ben Haynes:
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Ben that you like the aspect of entertainment because not only do I like it, but it allows us, like you said, to escape everyday life and go into a make-believe setting.
The topic I chose was "Teaching us about the past." I chose this topic because one of my favorite subjects in school is history. The aspect as an audience member that connects me to this type of play is my wanting to know more and learn more about the past. I like "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" because it teaches you of the culture of the old south, such as the living conditions, the language, and the life style. The one I would have the most difficult time enjoying is "Provides a Source for Entertainment." The two links given, Blue Man Group and Stomp, are two shows I would like for the short term, but not really for a two hour show. I would rather see something with acting and the traditional dramatical script. Both Blue Man Group and Stomp both seem like concerts in a way.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Adrian Vivar: I agree with your ideas on history. I also believe that history can be easier to enjoy, but not always. Some sources of entertainment are more interesting than history, but I think you are correct in the fact that entertainment can lose it's vibe.
ReplyDeleteFor blog 2 i chose the topic Reaffirming our beliefs. I chose this topic mainly because both of the videos have things represented in them that we as a whole can all relate to. For example in the video Everything,which is a skit of the song Everything preformed by the band Lifehouse,we all at some point fall into temptation,the want for money and success,jealousy and some even fall into suicidal thoughts. It's sometimes things like this that that can be an eye opener for people,sometimes watching plays and skits such as this one can help a troubled mind and reinstill in someone that there is always some kind of divine power that is in constant motion watching over them. What really got my attention about the skit was the fact that we all deal with these temptations. For some it's once in a while and for others it can be everyday. Comming from a religous stand point it's deffinatly comforting to know that when all seems lost there is someone like God who is constantly watching over us. Not all will agree with me there but that's my own personal opinion.
ReplyDeleteFor the play Our Town I thought it showed a good representation of what an afterlife may be like. I thought it was interesting to see that the dead were able to watch the living and see how the town,Grover's Corner's was affected after they had died. The way Paul Newmann described what happened after the families death and what had happened to Grover's Corner's was very interesting. It really makes one think and wonder what it's like when it finally does end. I like how Paul goes on to say that as history has come and gone we as a whole still repeat the same mistakes that others before us have made and that is a true statement because in our world this is still occuring. I also liked how he explained that in the afterlife all earthly possesions like money do not mean anything and are just memories. No one knows for certain except for the deceased themselves but it is a very interesting look and thought at what the afterlife may be about or like. I think the play itself reaffirms the belief that death is not something to be afraid of,rather it's just a path and it's a path that we must all take at some point. Out of the eight other connectors that were listed i really think it would be hard for me to watch something that's like the play Ghosts only because it seems like the plot and the way they spoke in the play would not appeal or keep me interested in it for very long.
MY RESPONSE TO Paul Cianciolo: I completely agree with you on the idea that betrayal is apart of our lives and how lies cause anger in us. Especially when someone who is close to us lies to us.
ReplyDeleteAustin Rudolph in response to Blog 2:
ReplyDeleteI chose to discuss the entertainment value of theatre. This value appeals to me because it is something that is around me every day. Entertainment to me is a stress reliever. Whenever I am doing homework that is not easy to understand or if it is something that does not interest me then I usually turn on some music to help me get through it. What makes the groups in the two videos stand apart from the rest, to me, is their unconventional use of ordinary objects to make music. Their unique way of creating music seems to bring the audience out of the ordinary world and into the imaginary world. To me, Stomp seems more like a performance and Blue Man Group seems more like an interaction between the audience and the characters. This interaction is shown when the Blue Man Group begins to play and then they suddenly stop. The audience then provides feedback through laughter and applause.
I believe the most difficult theatrical connector to enjoy is learning about the past. Learning about the past is difficult for me because I never look back. Just like in a race, you never look to see who is behind you, only worry about what is in front of you. I am the kind of person that looks to the future and only worry the current situation, not what has happened in the past.
My response to Ben Haynes:
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in the fact that entertainment is a way to escape live. It also interesting how they use trashcans to make music.
I chose the topic of entertainment. I picked this because it held my attention the best
ReplyDeleteI find that when the actors are in the middle of a heated moment, my mind is completely focused on the performers so that I do not miss a single thing they do. I feel it is important to watch all that you can because that is how the performance is designed, to constantly be watched. The play writes or directors do not schedule time for blinking or looking down at your watch. They are expecting the audience’s fullest attention. Because of this, my mind becomes engrossed in the action and my eyes are glued to the actors.
During the Stomp Video, from beginning to end, they are putting everything they have into their performance. This mass of pure energy and adrenaline is captivating to almost anyone regardless of their taste in music. The effect this produces on me is extreme concentration on the performers, so much so that I feel I am on stage with them.
In the Blue Man Group performance, it is difficult for me to have a favorite part. This is because each action the performers take leads me to feel a heightened sense of curiosity. I find myself offering suggestions to what they should do next even though they cannot hear me.
The most difficult connector for me to enjoy is the “reaffirms our beliefs” connector. This is because I find the particular beliefs they are talking about boring. If the particular beliefs that they are reaffirming were different I may find that I have more interest in this connector.
The one play I connect with the most is the one by the Blue Man Group because it is all about entertainment. Entertainment is my favorite roll because that is why I have gone to most movies, plays, and the reason for what I watch on television. I thought it was really amazing how they use the pieces of pipe to crate their own drum beat that could actually function in a song. I do not beat box, but I really enjoy hearing beats, especially rap beats. I think if I joined the band I would become a drummer because I am always beating on a table or a chair. I think I could also relate to the snippet of “Rent” because it gives me hope that no matter what I do wrong I can be forgiven. The snippet from hair is also a play I can relate to because the main character does not want to be fighting in a war just like I would not want to be drafted.
ReplyDeleteThe play I least connect with is “A Streetcar Named Desire” because I am not usually a greedy person. I do not think of only myself and I usually appreciate all my parents do for me. I can hardly understand anyone who has two loving and does not seem to care about them. God has blessed me too greatly for me to just act like non of my fortune is not there.
In response Austin Rudolph: I admire your determination and agree with your opinion on the “looking to the past” connector. But you should not completely shut the past out from your memory so that you can learn from it and understand how to better yourself even more
ReplyDeleteI chose the entertainment part of theatre. I just like to be entertained and the blue man group is a funny and random. No one would have guessed that something like a bunch of tubes to create music. I thought it was very neat and ingenious. I think it would be hardest for me to enjoy the part of experiencing emotion and feeling because there are not anything funny or comical about it. I like to laugh and enjoy art.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Marc Hodges: I really enjoyed the blue man group as well. I am not a very musical person but the Blue Man Group really connected with my imagination.
ReplyDeleteResponse to blog 2:
ReplyDeleteThe topic I chose is theater providing the audience a source of entertainment. The performance by the Blue Man Group attracts the audience because of the comical, creative, and colorful blue men. They use hollow pipes to create a performance that the audience enjoys, and move the lengths of the pipes to create different sounds. Their creativity causes the audience to become captivated and become enveloped in this make-believe world. Drumming on pipes is different from the ordinary comic relief, and they use the crowds influence to keep them going. Stomp uses large blue containers as drums, pots and pans, empty oil drums, metal trashcans, and trash lids to create music. The audience fuels the performers with their reactions to the music. As an audience member, I am entertained by different comical and entertainment that Stomp and the Blue Man Group creates. The entertainment they provide distracts me from all the work I have left to do, and keeps me entertained. The Blue Man Group is more actor – audience influenced. The audience gives feedback through their cheers and whistles. The entertainment aspect of theater is more attractive to me because I prefer to see a performance that will have me cheering, rather than learn about change in society. When I go see a show, I want to be able to escape this current reality and forget all the worries each day brings. The most difficult connector of theater for me to enjoy is to learn about change in society. I do not like to be sitting in a crowd and learn about society’s transitions. As an audience member, when I go to a performance, I want to be entertained with musical and comical relief, not learn about society’s changes.
Response to Marc Hodges:
I also enjoyed the beats throughout Stomp and the Blue Man Group's creativity and usage of simple pipe to create a drum. I also agree on your view of "A Streetcar Named Desire," because I tend to put others before myself and help others anyway I can.
I choose Blue Man Group as my favorite, because I really like to watch entertaining shows that capture my intrest. I am really a fan of music, and the Blue Man Group really uses different types of crazy instruments that are really entertaining to see performed. It really captured my attention when they used the pipes to make beats, because out of my favorite instruments, the drum, is my favorite. I think I would love to see this show, because it uses very unique ways to capture the audience, and thats what the theatre is all about. I also liked the play, Stomp, because again it creates a unique way of music that the audience would love and appreciate. The Blue Man Group also captures your attention, because they are painted blue. If there were not painted blue, it would not capture the crowd effienctly. The combination of guitars, drums, and pipes was a great idea, because an average person does not see that everyday. The hardest to watch would have to be Company, because they simply do not have any props. I also would not want to go to a theatre and watch something about someone's life. That just does not intrest me at all.
ReplyDeleteResponse to blog 2:
ReplyDeleteThe aspect of theatre that captures my attention the most is entertainment, particularly comedies and musicals. Ever since I was young I have always looked for something to entertain me. My idea of entertainment is anything that makes me laugh, keeps me interested, or takes me away from the stresses of everyday life. I am not easily entertained by drama or suspense/thriller productions. The Stomp and Blue Man Group videos kept me interested and wanting to know what they were going to do next throughout each clip. The rhythm and beat of the music is more uplifting to me than a drama or supense/thriller. When I go to the movies I go to see something that I think will make me laugh or keep my interest throughout the show.
Of the choices listed, the hardest one for me to enjoy would be "Enables us to Confront." In my opinion, this one can be difficult and stressful to watch, therefore, harder for me to be entertained by.
Response to Trent Johnson:
ReplyDeleteI agreed that Blue Man Group was a really funny and entertaining play, because it captures your imagination through music in a unique way.
Response to Paul Cianciolo:
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I agree with you that change has its negative effects but it does have a positive side as well. Change can be good in many ways. Whether it is changing your job, home, or where you live, it can be uplifting and help to keep boredom from taking over. Once you accomplish some of your goals in life you may focus your life in another direction. That redirection is change.
I chose reaffirming beliefs from the topics provided. This section’s videos were Everything and Our Town. I chose this topic because I am a strong believer in my faith and I always feel so connected to the scene of Everything. I’ve seen this scene multiple times and every time I see it; my walls break down and I let everything in. I loved Our Town as a book and the play because of the issues brought up in it.
ReplyDeleteWhen the girl’s black shirt gets ripped off and there’s a white shirt underneath, in Everything, I begin to see God in a new way. It makes me believe that I can start the way I’m living over and do it right starting now. I love the way it makes me feel. It makes me happy and excited for life.
Teaches us about the past would definitely be the worst one that I could try to connect to. I’m terrible at history, mainly because it bores me, and I just can’t look at dates and remember anything dealing with those dates. When people start talking about history, I zone out into my own world. This is why I could never watch a play dealing with history, it just would really bore me.
response to Ryan Lafferty:
ReplyDeleteBlue man group was amazing to watch in class that was very enjoyable. i wish i could see them live that would be amazing to see.
My Response Kevin Brazzel's Responce to me:
ReplyDeleteI did notice that. I was shocked when you were the locking in the bathroom on the bus ride.
My Response to Trent Johnson:
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think its really cool how poepl use items to create music. Mr. Breah let us listen to cd of some teacher here and it sounded like an actual band even though it was all by voice. I thought that was really cool too.
Justin Scheuner Blog #2
ReplyDeleteI chose the “provides us a source of entertainment” topic. This aspect of theatre connects with me as an audience member in that I will usually only go to a show or performance if I’m fairly certain that I will enjoy it and/or be entertained by that performance. So this aspect of theatre is really the only type of theatre that I ever thoroughly enjoy, thus providing me with a special connection to the entertainment aspect of theatre. In the first video, the one of the Blue Man group, the audience really touches on what I am trying to say here. They are, throughout the video, cheering and applauding the performance as a sign that they are enjoying this, and are entertained by the performance. In the second video, the one of Stomp, the musical aspect of it touches on my concepts. The music in that video is really something that entertained me, and it is what I enjoyed about the video. Of the connectors listed, the one that would be the hardest for me to enjoy would be the one that allows us to experience and feel emotion. I would have a hard time enjoying that because I always tend to interpret those sort of performances as being too sappy, and often times too lengthy, thus boring me. Also, with that aspect of theatre, I often don’t feel the connection to the characters as I should to experience the emotions that I am supposed to.
Justin Scheuner response to John Wynne:
ReplyDeleteI, too, am very strong in my faith, and so those videos both had a great affect on me, however, the entertainment aspect of theatre connects with me more.
Cody Robinson: in response to blog 2.
ReplyDeleteThe topic I chose was “provides a source of entertainment” for my blog. I feel the best way to connect with something such as theater is to be entertained while watching it. When the director and the actors on stage can perform a production and make it entertaining for the audience (me), that makes the play a thousand times better. I feel that if a theatrical performance can entertain the audience it helps the audience suspend its disbelief about what is being preformed. The performance Blue Man Group is a great example with the lavish costumes and musical performance it makes the audience “hunger” for more. Same thing with Stomp its unique way of being presented makes the audience sit at the edge of their seat. When costume, dance, and music can be choreographed to flow as one that is what true entertainment is. The hardest part of theater for me is learning about change. Change for me is hard because I am used to my beliefs and following things my way. Although I think Hair is a outstanding performance it is still hard for me to put my world views aside. I would enjoy plays about “change” more if I could keep a clear and open mind, hopefully one day I can. Until then the best way for me to enjoy theater will be by the entertainment perspective of theater.
in response to John Wayne:
ReplyDeleteI agree completely with you John that when something can reaffirm our beliefs it is amazing. I feel that people connect best with things when they “hit” close to home. The same goes for me whenever I see or hear something that I believe in its easier for me to relate and pay attention to it.
The topic that Provides us a Source of Entertainment, which featured The Blue Man Group and Stomp, was the most interesting to me. This type of theater really grasps my attention because the music is loud and in my face. I’m more drawn to watching a musical performance than a slow moving, dramatic or romantic show. When I watch the upbeat performance, it helps keep my attention as an audience member focused on what’s going on up on the stage. I was fortunate enough to go see Blue Man Group at a live concert at The Desoto Civic Center a few years back, and it was absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteThere are some specific reasons why I enjoy this type of entertainment. In The Blue Man Group, the use of the large PVC pipes was a very unique idea and a great way to get my attention. They used them to create a very interesting way to display great musical skills. Same thing with Stomp; the group used ordinary things that people use every day and made an awesome beat by drumming on the objects.
Of the eight videos that we were provided with, I think the hardest one for me to follow along was Ghosts. It just seemed to me that it dragged out in one long monologue and he was just sulking the whole time. It may be that I haven’t seen the whole thing, but I would rather see something a little more action packed and something that grabs my attention from the very beginning.
Response to Cody Robinson:
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your opinion. When I go to watch a theatrical performance, I attend to be entertained. Specifically the Blue Man Group made me want to watch more and I was impressed with the actors throughout the whole performance, and it kept me very much entertained.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTO Stephen Kelley:
ReplyDeleteI like your post I and I agree with you on the Blue Group people are awesome and cool to watch. I want to see the Blue Man Group play I heard its pretty awesome and cool to see.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like entertainment the most because it is so much fun to watch and listen to. Watching plays and things like that ca sometimes get to be so boring. They are just too long sometimes. Entertainment such as the Blue Man Group is so much fun to watch. It is fun to listen to as well.
ReplyDeleteBeing an audience member, it is my main goal to laugh and have fun. This tells the performers that they are doing a good job. If the performers do not get this encouragement, they will start to clam up and not truly express themselves because they are embarrassed. If we have fun, the performers will get less tense and open up. This allows us to truly experience the performance.
Entertainment can make us stare in awe or laugh or butts off. The circus is a wonderful form of entertainment. We will be amazed when someone shoots fire from him mouth and laugh hysterically when a clown gets hurt. Entertainment can affect the audience greatly. A person could go to an event completely somber and leave thinking about what they just saw in amazement or laughing at what they just saw. The Blue Man Group was an excellent example of entertainment because it made the crowd laugh but also amazed them with how talented they were. Entertainment is one of the best forms of theatre that there is because it affects the audience so massively.
MY RESPONSE TO Justin Scheuner
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. The Blue Man Group are awesome and the only way I ever go to events is if I know that I am going to like it. I think that the Blue Man Group would be a lot of fun to go see.
Response to blog two:
ReplyDeleteI chose “PROVIDES US A SOURCE OF ENTERTAINMENT” because I like to entertain people and entertainment is fun. I like to make people laugh and do things of that nature. I think it would be pretty cool to be in the blue man group because they are blue. The aspect of theatre that connects me as an audience member to theater is when the audience gets involved in the entertainment. When this connection happens it really makes the event fun for all who are in attendance. Entertainment is meant to entertain you, so by being entertained you are participating in the theatre event. In the blue man group video you can see the audience clapping and cheering about what is going on onstage and you can tell they are being entertained by these men. This proves my answer of the previous question. Of the eight connectors the one that would be the hardest for me to enjoy theatrically would be Our Town. I just watched the video and it is a very boring play to me, I would quickly lose focus while the old man is talking about stuff. It seems to me that Our Town is a very boring play.
response to adrien: thats real cool
I chose "Reaffirm Beliefs", the "Everything" video. This aspect drew me in because my faith is something I take very seriously. I liked it because I am not very good at showing how important is to me or verbally telling someone what it means to me. If I had to explain it to someone my best shot would be to show someone this video. I connected to it because it was the perfect example of an everyday struggle with sin. I, for the most part can relate to the entire video minus the part where she puts a gun to her head. I liked this form of theatre because it was something that really cut to the center of me. I like theatre and movies that remind me why I believe what I believe. By far "Our Town" was the hardest thing to enjoy. Because in my opinion there is no emotion coming through. It gets you to think about your existance but doesn't cuts very deep. I have seen the movie version of the play and I hated it.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy entertainment the most because i rather be entertained more then anything. Like the Blue Man Group took something so simple and made it into something so beautiful. While I was watching their performance, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. I'm a music guy myself and when I saw them create such a tone with pipes, I was dumbfounded. I wanted to paint myself blue and join them on stage. The band in the background joined in as the Blue Man Group kept beating on the pipes. Both music tones combined with one another and formed a even greater tone. I think if the audience is entertained, then that itself produces a great show. It's really hard for me to get interested in other plays performed on stage. The play has to have a good plot and it has to be performed by people who knows how to relate to the audiences emotions. People tend to go to plays because of those reasons. That's why I would go to the plays.
ReplyDeleteI was most fascinated with the entertainment category. I chose this topic because, frankly, I like to be entertain, as most people do. I loved how Blue Man Group took something so simple, as music, and put a creative spin on it. They aren't just playing music on pipes, which in itself is entertaining and impressive, but they are also painted blue, which adds to the entertainment. In Stomp, they also used common things to make music, which was an impressive feat. The entertainment value comes from watching people perform with the simplest of materials. The connector that would be the most challenging for me to follow along with would be that which teaches about change. Most people do not like change because we would rather keep a rigid schedule. Theatre of this kind could, however help to get over change and adapt.
ReplyDeleteThe role that I chose that most drew my attention was "Provides Us A Source Of Entertainment." I chose this because I believe that most people go to the theatre to simply be entertained and to have a good time. Entertainment can have an unbelievable effect on even a person that does not have much going for their life. It can make someone's day just a little bit brighter and help to cheer him or her up. I know that when I go to see a production or show, I want to be entertained as an audience member. In the videos of the "Blue Man Group" and "Stomp", everyone in both audiences seems to be enjoying himself and having a good time because they are being entertained. Obviously both groups have tremendous amounts of talent and are very eye and ear catching. If I were at either of these shows, I would feel very privileged at the opportunity to just take a break from everyday problems and have some fun. Of the eight connections listed on the blog, "Allows Us To Feel And Experience Emotion" would be the hardest for me to enjoy theatrically. I am not a very emotional guy especially around people that I do not know. I am not sure if I would actually open up to my emotions and enjoy myself in the theatre or not.
ReplyDeleteDonnie Shea response to Johnas Venzant:
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that the Blue Man Group was entertaining. It was impressive how they took something so simple and turned it into great music as they did.
My response to Brody Jameson:
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your views on how important entertainment is. I also agree that the Blue Man Group was awesome and I know that it would make my day just a little bit better if I went and saw them perform.
Response to Cody Costa: It really does seem like the audience particulary enjoy themselves during the Blueman Group. I also think it would be cool to be blue.
ReplyDeleteMy choice was that theatre provided entertainment for the audience. In both examples i watched which was the Blue Man Group, and Stomp the audience reacted to the sounds and movements the performers were making then the performers would then react to the sounds and possibly the movements that the audience was making. So in those examples the audience played a very significant role to the performance, and it was all due to the fact that the audience was entertained by their performance.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Ryan Lafferty's response to Trent the blue man group would actually be a concert not a play.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite part about theatre is the entertaining aspects of the performances. Life is often too serious, and theatre can provide an uplifting means of escape. Having played football most of my life, I understand the importance of teamwork, discipline, conditioning, creativity, and coordinated performance. In many ways theatre requires these same qualities. In the Stomp performance, for example, it is obvious that the performers have spent tireless hours developing and practicing for such a precision show. Even more obvious to me is the years of prior learning and practice required to perform at such a level. The same is evident with Blue Man Group. In both cases I find the precision and skill of the performers very impressive.
ReplyDeletePerformances designed to allow us to feel and experience emotion are least appealing to me. As I stated earlier, life is often too serious. I get enough feeling and emotion in everyday life. I go to the theatre to be entertained.
I am most interested in the plays that dealt with change because movies, theatre, art,and music can change our way of thinking. In the clip from "Hair" we see how mechanical and rigid the military can be. There is pressure to conform and the group is more important than an individual. We see the helplessness and fear in the soldiers eyes. In contrast, when it cuts away to the protestors we see people dressed as individuals. We feel the emotions of the people as they reach the White House. This signifies the change in peoples feelings about the Vietnam War.
ReplyDelete"No day but today" from rent also teaches us about change. It shows us that we must cherish the present because we all will die at some point. The clip is telling us that we must go on after a loved ones death. This theme goes back to the Bible which tells us there is a time to mourn and a time to laugh. This movie clip from Rent shows us that love for one another can help us through tough times and that people are more alike than different.
Response to Cody Costa: I like to be entertained too, that's why I liked the blue man group too.
ReplyDeleteI chose the source of entertainment aspect of theater. The aspect of these two performances that connected to me as an audience member was the fact that it was just for pure entertainment. In both of the performances they were just taking whatever they had and playing music on them and entertaining the audience not with normal instruments but with pipes and trash cans. For me the hardest one to enjoy theatrically would be the ones about feeling and expressing emotions. To me i do not think that i would feel/express emotion because i know that it is not real and just a performance.
ReplyDeleteresponse to james wolfe
ReplyDeletei agree life is to serious and theater does make a good means for esacap
The most important characteristic of Theatre to me is that it enables us to observe. In "Company" and "A Streetcar Named Desire" you are able to observe people living life from a distance. In "Company" you view a middle age single man in the hustle and bustle of New York City attempting to settle down and start a family despite all the craziness he sees in his friends relationships. This allows an audience member to reflect on how they should or should have handled the situation at such time in their life. In "A Streetcar Named Desire" we are shown a rather young lady who has had to deal with the loss of a loved one while her friend is getting ready to experience the same situation with his mother. This provides the audience with a feeling that EVERYONE will experience, the loss of those close to them. As in these two examples I believe that when Theatre allows you too reflect upon or provoke thought about life then it is a good production. As human beings we learn from our mistakes, and Theatre provides us with a way of learning from others' mistakes as well as teaching us ways to cope with the many varieties of situations life can throw at us.
ReplyDeleteBlog 2
ReplyDelete1. I chose the topic : " To Feel And Experience Emotion"
2. As an audience member, this aspect about of theatre touched me the most. While watching "Steel Magnolias," i noticed my emotions started to go along with the certain scences of this film and with the background music. Actors and actresses sometimes can have an impact on the audiences' emotions.
3. In "Steel Magnolias," the scene where the friends meet up by the grave site after the service. First off, it is a funeral scene, so that is already going to get your emotions worked up. Second, the actresses ( the group of women who are all friends) begin to get upset, especially when they talk about the death. This part of the movie would definitely be considered the most emotional part of the film. It is a great example for this topic.
4. The hardest connector would have to be "People and Personalities" because people and personalities are already hard to be taught or figure out in real life. People are all different in some way(s) and have different types of personalities. How would an audience really be able to handle this topic theatrically? it would be way to difficult.
The topic i enjoyed most was the "Provides us a source of entertainment". I like being entertained and i like to watch something that allows me to get away. I wouldnt want to go to a play about changing or reaffirming beliefs because when i go to a play i just want to be able to forget about everything else and just enjoy what im watching. I also enjoy entertaining people and that is just another reason why the entertaiment aspect of theatre is one that i like. Laughing is my favorite thing to do so anyone that can make me laugh is a good source of entertainment for me.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that both blue man group and stomp can be so entertaining while only using common items is very impressive. They seem to be very talented at using anything thats around them as a source for entertainment and that really captivated me. The blue man group painting themselves blue is also genius because it causes people to look at them and become curious at what they do.
The topic i think would be the hardest for me to be drawn into would be "change". Thid one would be the hardest because i really dont like to change anything, or have things around me change. I like to stay the same way and be the same way, not constantly changing and never being able to keep things in order.
Response to DONNIE SHEA:
ReplyDeleteDonnie I also agree that using everyday objects as a source of music is not only impressive because of the objects they use, but also because of the sounds it produced.
Response to Michael Steepleton: I agree that theatre allows people to learn from others mistakes and if you learn something from a play then it is a good production
ReplyDeleteI chose the topic of providing a source of entertainment because I believe the most interaction a member of an audience can display is in this type of play. What connects an audience member to this aspect of theater is the sense of enthrallment exhibited by the viewers of the play, and by extension, the sense that the audience truly appreciates the work that the actors are doing. For example, the applause of the audience is a great indicator of the joy they receive by watching the performance of the actors. What I believe would be the hardest for me to enjoy is the aspect of allowing us to feel and experience emotion, because I have a hard time feeling the emotions that the drama is supposed to convey.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Justin Scheuner: I agree that the aspect of entertainment is more likely to draw the members of the audience to attention and to appreciate the art.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTo me theatre is about entertaing the audience. The charactoristic of theatre that pertains to me the most is that it "Provides us a source of entertainment." The only reason i would go to any production is so that i can go see something that will entertain me. If you are being entertained as an audience member than you give a positive feedback to the actors who are doing the entertaining. It is best that the audience is entertained and into the production so that the whole theatre isn't boring and dull. The blue man group is exactly what i would want to go and see for my entertainment. The audience was into the act the whole time. The most difficult aspect for me to grasp is "Teaches us about our past." If i wanted to learn about our past i would go to another history class.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Tyler Wingfield:
ReplyDeleteI also like to laugh and cosider that a good source of entertainment.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI chose the topic of providing entertainment. I often just am interested in what can keep my attention and make me feel good about it. I chose blue man group and stomp because they both really have a lot of appeal to me. The aspects in them that interested me the most was the coordination and musical capabilities displayed by both. Simply amazing. The aspect of allowing myself as an audience member to Confront is the hardest for me. I just did not entirely enjoy those works. They really are hard for me to get into for some reason.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Xander: great post. I agree with you on most all of the points you made about both video selections, myself. I would've actually stated more in mine but it would have seemed redundant.
ReplyDeleteI personally believe that plays are a great form of entertainment. I have had the pleasure of seeing "Stomp" performed live and was amazed in the quality of music as well as the meticulously rehearsed and synchronized dance routines of the cast members. In the video, you can see how the audience reacts to the music, and at times is even involved in the actual performance through clapping and partying along. While the entertaining plays are of the easiest to watch for me, I personally do not like to watch the plays that are centered on occurrences of the past. While these plays can be interesting, they do not keep the audience enthralled with fun and exciting details.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Justin Scheuner:
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with the fact that many people will attend a play if there is a certainty that they will be entertained by it. Most people will not want to sit through a three hour play on a long, drawn out story of overcoming hardships and accepting reality. While these plays are classics and will remain that way forever, I firmly believe that the mass majority of people would rather see an entertaining play such as "Stomp."
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Blog 2:
ReplyDelete1) I chose theatre as a source of entertainment, because that is the only reason I would ever watch theatre.
2) It allows us to laugh and cheer together. We would be in awe by the fact that STOMP works, and we would laugh at the antics of Blue Man Group.
3)The one aspect of both videos that I noticed was the audience's reaction to both performances. Even over the improvised instruments of both grouops, the cheers of the audience are easily heard. I think that seeing that kind of performance induces a natural inclination to yell and cheer.
4)The emotional aspect of theatre today is laughable to me. I don't understand ho some people can go see some of these nonsense plays and cry over them.
Response to nearly everyone: I completely agree that the entertainment side of theatre is by far the greatest aspect.
ReplyDeleteI choose theater it is a good sense of entertainment and to have an outer body experience that you wouldn’t normally have in your real life. Theater also helps you with stuff like what is going on in the world. Theater also helps you deal with situations as they come up in your life. There are a lot of things in theater that comes up in your own life. Theater is a big part of our lives currently. Theater also helps people with boring lives have some spice in their lives. As I said earlier theater can help a person out a lot to know how to react in a situation that they are not currently in. Hair is the one that best touches me because he is put in a situation which he is not accustom to and has to do the best he can and deal with it. The thing that would be hardest for me is sitting through the whole play without making a sound or moving. Another thing that will be hard with me in theater is actually getting into the plays and suspending my belief because I would think of things to literal.
ReplyDeleteResponse to T.J. Scholl:
I agree with emotional part because I would be laughing to