A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
September 4, 2010
Theatre History Blog 4
DUE WEDNESDAY 9/8/10 BY 8:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG4 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Roman theatrical style appeals to me more.
ReplyDeleteThe reason why I chose the Roman style is because the play itself seems to be more developed and the physical theatre, such as the set itself, seems to have more thought portrayed in it. The difference between Roman from Greek style of writing in plays is that there are more conventional styles in Roman theatre such as soliloquy and monologue. Also there seem to be more chanting in Greek theatre. The Roman sets have different props and other physical designs that also make the Roman style of theatre to seem to be more developed and expanded upon. The similarities between the two styles of theatre are that there is a rising action, climax, and conclusion. Also there is a dialogue between characters and characters are not similar with individual personalities. These are traditional Greek commonalities that seem to have influenced the Roman style. Miles Gloriosus is my favorite of the three Roman theatre examples because the play itself seems to exhibit elements of comedic relief to the play. Oedipus, which is somewhat different, is my second favorite because the play seems to be more dramatic and emphasizes/incorporates violence and blood.
Paul Cianciolo response to Blog 4:
ReplyDeleteThe Roman theatrical style appeals to me more over the Greek style, because the Roman style employs more comical plays along with direct dialogue among characters. Greek theatre does not necessarily speak to crowd, but their dialogue has a universal tone that makes it seem like they are always including the crowd in their conversations. Roman’s have a good mix between conversing with the crowd and direct dialogue among the characters. Greek theatre also seemed to be directed towards more dark themes that depict the mood of the plays and somber chant. Roman theatre did not let the setting of the play depict the mood, but instead the dialogue of the characters.
The Greek influence that I see on the Roman theatre is the layered sound affects that build the scenes and help strengthen the climax. These scenes help the audience enforce their ideas on what is happening in a scene.
My favorite clip was the Roman style Miles Gloriosus. I enjoyed the story and how it developed among the slave of the great soldier. The soldier might be of higher ranking, but his foolish wits don’t allow him to see the plans set against him. The slaves constant taunting of his master adds on to the plot and creates a good laugh. The seriousness of the slave in his brief speeches to the audience allows us to also take him serious.
My Response To Ben Haynes:
ReplyDeleteI agree because there actually seems to be a storyline in Roman plays, even though I understand the value of Greek plays. Greek plays seem to have a storyline, but its much different that what we would want.
I think the style that appeals to me is roman.
ReplyDeleteI like roman because it seems to have more flow to it and it is easier to understand. Roman writing also seems to be more dramatic.
Theatre originated in Greece and was spread to Rome through Roman imperialism. The Romans adopted Greek theatre to their specific purposes. In the style of "Bread and Circuses," Roman theatre was meant to entertain the masses with spectacle and violence. The naumachiae were elaborate portrayals of sea battles involving real water-filled arenas and massive scale fights where actors were likely to die in the action. Basic costuming indicated status using certain colors to show a character's class, and stock characters helped the audiences not get lost in all the action onstage. Greek theatre had a more didactic and religious aim. It was born of religious celebrations for different Greek gods and featured characters that faced moral struggles. Masks were popular, and a chorus was essential in highlighting moral themes. The Greek theatre was born of religion, artistry, and necessity; Roman theatre was more for spectacular entertainment. The two styles simply served different purposes. It is important to remember that while Greek theatre provided artistic and scholastic foundations for the modern theatre, Roman theatre paved the way for a wide range of entertainment, including opera and masques.
Roman theatre copied most of their theatre ideas from the Greek.
I would say PHAEDRA is most interesting to me because it is really cool and that lady has a knife.
love,
cody
response to paul, that is a very interesting thing you typed up that really appeals to me.
ReplyDeleteI personally like the roman style more than that of the Greeks because the Romans employ comedy as well as other aspects not seen by the Greeks. I see the Greek style as less of entertainment than that of the Romans who at the time were in a political crisis. As Cody Costa said, the Bread and Circus theme throughout the empire was to keep the satisfaction of the common people. However, being that both of the styles originated in Greek, they do have similar qualities. While both implemented a wide range of costumes, as well as, naval sets and scenes, the reasons for the plays were different. I liked the Miles Glorious best of all three because it was the most entertaining of the three.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Cody Costa:
ReplyDeleteAs said in my precious blog, I agree with the point on the Bread and Circus theme that distiguished the Greek and Roman plays.
RESPONSE to Blog 4
ReplyDeleteFor me I would say that the Roman style of theatre interested me more. Mainly because in their plays it was easier for me to understand what was happening and during the Greek plays it was hard to pick up on and required a few replays of certain videos to grasp the idea of what was happening. The style that i really noticed and ultimately lead me to this choice was that Roman theatre had more elements of entertainment and comedy than the Greek style of theatre. This is what lead me to my decision because with the Greek plays it seemed like the plots were all of a severe and serious matter and the way it was presented was just hard to follow and understand. But in Roman plays it incorporated a serious plot and told it in a way that was comedic and entertaining, what I liked most was the fact that the actors would use the soliloquy and monologues to help fill the audience in on what was happening. It really gave the sense that the actors were trying to connect with the audience and it made it overall for me much more enjoyable to watch than to watch the Greek plays.
One thing i really noticed in the diffrence between the Greek and Roman plays was that in the Roman plays the chorus was not really used where as in the Greek plays it had a heavy influence on some of the story telling. There are common features in the Roman and Greek plays mainly becuase the Roman theatre itself probably wouldn't have existed without the Greek influence and their style of how theatre was portrayed. All it really seemed like the Romans did was take the Greek style and morph it to be much more entertaining. Out of all the Play choices i'd have to say my favorite was Miles Gloriosus. I picked this one because out of the six it was the most entertaining, had a good plot and was easy to understand.
MY RESPONSE TO Ben Haynes: I agree with you on the idea that it seemed like the Roman style of theatre was developed better than the Greek style.
ReplyDeleteIn response to blog 4:
ReplyDeleteI like the Roman style of theater over the Greek style. I feel that the Romans Theater is more entertaining and the comedy is more profound. Also Greek theater came first so it is by definition more primitive then Roman theater. I personally feel it is like evolution Roman Theater kept the important “body” parts of the Greek theater and evolved away from the obsolete parts. Another reason Roman appeals to me more is the costumes are better, there is a noticeable distinguish between characters. Also Roman drama is better portrayed then Greek drama. The Romans actors for the most part are better actors and the “shows” revolve around them more. Greek writing is more based on the older ideas of past civilizations. The Romans adopted the parts of Greek writing they liked and molded the rest to fit their culture. Although in the Greeks defense they did not have such a diverse civilization to pick through like the Romans. So it is only natural the Roman culture would prevail over the Greek in certain aspects of theater. Greek and Roman Theater are very similar, that’s because the Romans conquered the Greeks. All of Roman Theater is a rip off of what the Greeks had. The stages are similar in both cultures, and some of the acting conventions are also the same. As I stated earlier I feel the Romans triumph over the Greeks in acting, costumes, dialogue and centering the production on a specific character (actor). MILES GLORIUS was my favorite out of the three Roman theatrical productions. I felt that the acting in this play was excellent; I also loved having the “slave” as a narrator. In this production you had the slave, concubine and Perceives (sp?). I feel that this drama has a lot of comedy in the play also. Perceives losing his slave and the woman he wants to marry becoming a concubine. This for me is the definition of a great Roman dramatic play with a hint of comedy in it.
In response to Chris Matthews:
ReplyDeleteI agree that the Romans potrayed comedy in there plays better then the Greeks. I also agree the Romans over all theater structure is better than the Greeks.
Response to Blog 4:
ReplyDeleteRoman theatre appeals to me more becasue it is more dramatic and talks more directly to the characters than to the crowd. Roman theeatre also appeales to me more because I like how there is comical relief in their plays along with the drama of real everyday life. The major diffrences that I see between the two kinds of theatrical views is that the Roman theatre is actually a play and the characters relate to each other unlike in the Greek plays. In the Greek theatre it seems to me that the Greeks are set out to teach a lesson to the crowd and they interact with the crowd too much for me. The similarities in the Greek and the Roman theatre that I see is that there is a build up before each scene with the music and there is a chorus in both of the different theatrical types between the Greeks and Romans. I liked the play "Miles Gloriosus" becaus it tells a true story and the history of Rome.
Will Grisanti's response to Cody Robinson:
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you Cody on the fact that you are more appealed to Roman theatre because it has comical relief and that it is more profound.
Response to Will Grisanti: I like how you described the Greek style and there activity with the crowd. I agree that the Greek interaction with the crowd can get very confusing and eventually boring.
ReplyDeleteJustin Scheuner response to Blog 4
ReplyDeleteI like the Roman style of theatre more so than I do the Greek style of theatre. This style is more to my liking because it features a more rapidly developing plot and the action comes a little bit quicker and with greater force, which is something, as a modern American, I am a bit more accustomed to. Essentially, the Roman style of theatre, while not inside my comfort zone, is still closer to it than the Greek style of theatre is. Of the three Greek plays and the three Roman plays, there were a few noticeable differences in the theatrical style of writing. In the Roman style, much more emphasis is placed on dialogue and character speech, whereas in the Greek style more emphasis is placed on song and the chorus. Another difference is that in the Greek style, there is a more rhythmic feel to the writing, which helps to enforce the musical aspect, whereas in the Roman style, the writing is not as rhythmic but has more of a natural conversational feel to it. While there were differences between the two styles, there were also similarities shared by the two different styles. One similarity is in the themes portrayed in the Greek plays, which carried over to the Roman style of theatre. Another similarity is found in the number of characters featured at one time. In the Greek style, there were always either a lot of people on stage, or very few, as was the same in the Roman style of theatre. Of the six plays shown, the most interesting one was Miles Gloriosus, as it was a comedic play, and despite being from the Roman era, it still found a way to make me laugh at times. I thought that the way it was able to transcend time was very interesting.
1. To me, I enjoy seeing the masks of the Greek, but I wish they would be wearing masks as they went into battle. I do not know why, but that would pretty cool to me. I guess I like Roman plays more.
ReplyDelete2. I like Roman plays more because they Include action and violence. They are not just a bunch of people sitting around talking the entire time. Forgive me if that is the wrong misconception of Greek plays, but that’s all they did in the snippet of Agamemnon that we watched. Although I did thoroughly enjoy seeing the masks that the people wore in Agamemnon.
3. There are two major differences that jump right off the page to me. In my opinion, they Greek plays seem to look older and more out of date than the plays of the Romans. Another difference I believe that I see is they style of clothing. In Greek the Greek plays, there are two styles of clothing. On is almost no clothing at all. The other style is of the masks. I see every single person in the play “Eumenides” wearing a mask. For the Romans, I do not see a hint of nudity, but the average everyday clothing for the Romans is shorter and seems to contain more armor than the Greeks’ average everyday clothing.
4. In the play “Prometheus Bound” and the play “Oedipus” the characters were all wearing togas or toga like cloths. Each play was done under a blue light as well. For the most part, I did not see many similarities except these two plays.
5. I really like the play “Miles Gloriosus” the best because it seemed to be the most comical of all the Roman plays. I did not notice this at first but the plays of the Romans seem to have a more comedic sense about them which I was not expecting.
Justin Scheuner response to Michael Guerrero
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything you said concerning the play Miles Gloriosus, especially the part about being able to understand it the easiest. That is a big factor in whether or not something is entertaining or not.
My response to Marc Hodges:
ReplyDeleteI agree that Roman plays have more action and violence/blood. Roman plays give me more time to absorb the plot and action that is going on in the play. Greek is also in fact more intellectual and philosophical, not appealing the me because of the lack of action.
Austin Rudolph response to Blog 4:
ReplyDeleteI like the Roman style of theatre more than the Greek style. I feel that Roman theatre is more dramatic than Greek theatre. In Roman theatre, there is more comedy, action, and drama that we see in our everyday lives. Greek theatre does not appeal to me because it does not have the qualities of roman theatre. The Romans seem to have taken the good features of Greek theatre, made their own plays, and left the rest behind. Unlike the Greeks, the Romans used more soliloquies and monologues. This is a direct contrast to the tribal sounding chants often found in Greek theatre. Like most theatrical acts there are three parts to a play. These parts are the rising action, climax, and a final conclusion. This stemmed from the Greek style of plays, then to the Romans, and now in the plays you see today. I liked the Miles Gloriosus play because it was comical and seemed to re-enact a real life situation in a unique way. It almost reminded me of Monty Python.
In Response to Michael Guerrero:
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said about Miles Gloriosus. In order for the audience to pay attention to and understand a play, it needs to have some form of entertainment.
To Cody Costa:
ReplyDeleteLike the blog Cody and I also liked the video Phaedra it was really good and the woman with the knife was legit.
I prefer the Roman style of acting. This is because of the refined nature of the Roman plays in comparison to the Greeks. The Roman style of writing is much more direct with its plot and easier to understand. The characters are better shown and even if the acting is bad the story line can still be salvaged. But in the Greek plays I can hardly keep up at all whether they are good actors or not. For me I found the similarities after looking deeper than just on the physical aspects of the play. But to find the similarities I had to keep my focus broad. Basic things like human struggle seemed to appear in several of the plays in minute and subtle ways. The Romans took the raw energy of the Greeks and refined it into something a little more understandable; just one actor was able to portray many people’s worries and pains in everyday life. Miles Gloriosus was my favorite play. I think I most enjoyed the one because of the humor involved in it. I was able to keep my attention focused on the actors lines and even enjoyed the performance. Most of all I did not have to work at understanding what was going on, I was able to simply be entertained.
ReplyDeleteI prefer the Roman style over the Greek style of theatre. This suprised me because I find Greek mytheology very interesting. One thing that they have in common is that they are both pretty intense. I liked the fact that the Roman theatre had some humor. It helped to break things up. The use of masks was something confusing to me, but a commonality between Greek and Roman theatre. my favourite video was Miles Gloriosus because i thought the actor playing the slave was really funny to watch him talk.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Austin Rudolph and Michael Geurrero: I agree with both of you. plays should be easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteTo Paul Cianciolo: I like your explanation of the differences in dialog between the Roman and Greek plays. It helped me understand how to watch the Greek performances and get their full effect.
ReplyDeleteThe Roman theatrical style appeals to me more than Greek. I didn’t even like Greek it was confusing and the Greek plays were very hard to understand and they were very boring to me I really couldn’t get interested into the Greek style. Roman is the one I liked and the reason is because it was better done and it just looked better to me. It also had the characters better and also the stage was done a lot better and the coloring stood out. Well Greek it was really boring, stages I didn’t like at all, was dark and depressing, and not funny to serious. Roman was colorful, better done, stages were better, actors were better, it was funny, and it was just way better done than Greek. There weren’t as many commonalities as I thought there would be but one was that in one play I watched there was darkness. Also the actors weren’t as bad they were kind of equal but the Roman actors were way better. The one video that I liked the most was Phaedra the reason I like this one so much is because it was funny, enjoyable, easy to watch, not boring, bad language, and plus the lady had a knife it was a pretty good play no doubt about it.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Cody: Codster what you typed was the most beautiful, meaningful, loving thing i have ever read in my entire life. way to go bud. Keep on swingin for the fences slugger!
ReplyDeleteI actually really enjoyed the Roman theatre. I didn’t find it boring at all. I found the second video very exciting. Everything about the Roman theatre is faster than Greek. The Greek theatre is so boring and slow moving. The Roman theatre is fast moving, witty and cool. I feel like Greek theatre is done with less lights and is more dull than Roman. I feel like Roman theatre can be funny as well as scary. It seems a bit more modern than Greek as well. One of the main similarities that I can see between Greek and Roman theatre is the dialogue. Both the Greek and the Roman sounded like they used the same lines. It sounded like the exact same language, no extra words or anything. I liked the first video of the Greek videos the best because it was kind of creepy. I feel like it was a bit more modern than the other Greek videos. I liked the First video of the Roman videos the most because it was very funny. I did not think that something from that long ago could have the same humor that we like today. Although the Greek videos were interesting, the Roman videos more modern and therefore more interesting.
ReplyDeleteI think that the Roman style appealed most to me. The Roman style appeals most to me because of the i like the Roman style because it is much simpler to understand, and i also like the comical Romanian style of comedy i find it very entertaining and fun to watch. my favorite video that i watched was the one about the servant and the master and the servant and the two other people try to escape. the one called platus-miles Gloriosus. the differneces i see is that the Roman style is much more comical and that it is much more easier to understand than the Greek style. the similarities are that the stages are similar in set up. the most interesting to me was the platus one because i liked the plot and it was very funny.
ReplyDeleteMY RESPONSE TO Justin Scheuner
ReplyDeleteI agree with a lot of what you said. I am a whole lot more comfortable withthe Roman style than the Greek because the Roman style moves so much quicker. I almost feel asleep in the Greek videos but was very entertained in the Roman.
I enjoyed the Roman theater the most. The Roman style of theater is more simple and easy to understand, plus it just seemed more entertaining in my opinion. The effect on the lights and costuming made the Roman theater more appealing to the eye. The Greek seemed to emphasize the actual writing of the play less than the music and other movements. The clothing between the plays can be similar. Togas were worn in different plays and the lighting of the plays could be considered similar, although I would say the Roman lighting was a bit brighter. I liked the music from the second one, so that would probably be my favorite of the six videos shown.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Hunter: Good insight on realizing the stages were set up similarly. I did not notice that in till now.
ReplyDeleteThe Roman style of theatre appealed to me much more than did the Greek style of theatre. This is because the Roman style features a much faster moving plot and is somewhat easier to understand than the Greek style. There are a few major differences between these two styles. For one, the Roman style involves a rather quickly evolving plot and a lot of dialogue while the Greek style focuses on music and body positions. Also, there are many more character interactions in the Roman dramas than in the Greek dramas. Because of this, the Roman dramas are much easier to grasp and understand. There are also a few commonalities that show the influence Greek theatre had on Roman theatre. The variety of themes in these two styles is mostly the same. Also, it can be seen that the Romans simply built on upon Greek energy and ideas to create their own sense of theatre. To me, the most interesting video of the three Roman pieces was Miles Gloriosus because it was the one video that reminded me most of modern theatre. It also provided a little bit of comic relief after three rather dull Greek pieces. As an American, I tend to enjoy things that are easily understandable and interpretable.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Andrew S.
ReplyDeleteI was also surprised that the Greek theatre came across as extremely dull to me because I am very interested in Greek mythology. I also agree with you that the humor in the Roman pieces was much appreciated.
Response to Blog 4:
ReplyDeleteThe Roman style appeals to me more because it was easier to understand and follow. The Roman style was similar to today's style of plays in that the actors speak more to the audience. There is more dialogue between characters in the Roman plays. The major difference that I see is the advancement of the Roman style over the Greek style. The Roman plays depicted humor and more developed plots. With the use of a narrator, they could speak directly to the audience. In doing so, they were able to convey their message more clearly. The commonalities that show a definite influence of Greek style on Roman style are the everyday fight to overcome a struggle of some sort, and there is usually a romance of some kind. Of the three Roman plays, I prefer Miles Gloriosus because of the humor and the more modern approach used to deliver the story. I found it to be the easiest to enjoy and understand.
I much more prefer the Roman theatrical style. I found it much easier to understand and follow. While the Roman style and topics seemed rather modern and realistic, the Greeks dwelled on complex sinister plots and supernatural characters. The Greek plays typically centered around mythological subjects, and the Roman plays focused more on man’s primal sexuality. Just as history has taught us, the Greeks were thinkers, and the Romans were doers. Their plays seem to bear this out. The older Greek style seemed to influence the Roman style in its focus on intense interpersonal relationships as the plays primary theme.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the Roman play Miles Gloriosus the most because it was entertaining, and easy to understand. There was no inferred subject matter that I had to dwell on to figure out. The characters were clearly identified, and their roles in the play were explained up front. From that point on it was simply a matter of watching the play to see who did what next.
Response to Xander:
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you when you say that you had trouble figuring out if the Greeks were good actors or not. I thought that it was very poor acting and it was difficult for me to pay attention.
Response to Blog 4:
ReplyDeleteThe Roman theatrical style appealed to me more than the Greek style. I liked the Roman style better because of its simplicity and it was easier for me to grasp what was going on in the scene. The Roman performances entertained me more than the Greek. The Greek performances were boring to me. The major differences between the Roman and Greek theatrical performances were the speed, complicated language, and emotion. In the Greek videos, there was little emotion from the characters wearing masks. It seemed too much like clockwork, and was too slow for my liking. The similarity between the two styles is the use of music and some verbal expression. Roman theatre uses verbal expression on a greater level than Greek theater, but it is a similarity between them. Out of the three Roman videos, I prefer the Miles Gloriosus (Platus-Roman). It was interesting to me because of the comedic skit, simplistic language, and comedic deception used to trick the king into trying to marry a wife of the neighbor. I liked it best because it fit my type of entertainment. Oedipus seemed a little odd, because it’s main topic was sacrifice to the gods, and the use of fake organs only made it seem stranger. Phaedra was a little too dramatic for my liking. However, Miles Gloriosus appealed to me because it kept me entertained, and did not confuse me with drama and sacrificial organs.
Response to Wolfe:
I agree completely with you on your view of Miles Gloriosus. The identified and explained roles of each character made it easy to understand and easier to follow the plot of the video.
Like both styles. I like the Greecian style because they used live nudity and sex to get the crowd into it. It just seems like if there were a group of people going at it on stage it would be a site to see. I like the Roman form because of the use of comedy. The video clip of Miles Glorious was funny just because that guy yelled at people and was sarcastic. The greeks had an influence on the romans in that nothing changed except that women were able to perform. One form is very serious and the other is very comedic and easy to get into. They both are common in that they are performed by the same people just at differnt time periods, the plays just changed with the times. The Miles Glorious clip was my favorite because Plateus was funny and sarcastic.
ReplyDeleteThe Roman style of theatre appeals to me more than the Greek style. I like the Roman more than Greek because it was a little more exciting and comical. I was shocked by how boring the Greek theatrical style was. I also don't really like how the chorus together plays one character. Though it was a major part of theatre of the time, it just doesn't appeal to me. The main difference I noticed between the two styles was the level of excitement that each play was presented with. The Romans tried to bring the play to life, while the Greeks were very dull and boring. Both styles used music in their productions, which was a major aspect of theatre during the time. My favorite of the plays was Miles Gloriosus. I like it because it was the most comical, and kept me most entertained.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Kevin Brazzel: I aggree the greek was very boring and in no way, shape, or form was I drawn to watch more of it.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Patrick Sweeney:
ReplyDeleteI agree that the Roman theatre plot moved much quicker. That made it easier for me to connect to, and thus kept me more entertained.
Of the two typed of plays, i prefer Roman over Greek. I prefer Roman style because it is more modern and there is more speech than that of the Greek writing. I also enjoyed the comedy more in the Roman plays because it was more of a modern comedy. The major differences i noticed between the two styles were the costumes. The costumes of the Greek were much more bland and boring than that of the Romans who had bright colors and everyone wore something different. As well as the difference in clothes, there was also a difference in the amount of talking. The Greek style seemed to have alot of chanting or singing while the Romans used more dialogue and speech which in my opinion makes for a better understanding of the play. Another difference i noticed was that the Romans never wore masks like the Greeks did. The Greeks wore masks alot to cover their face but the Romans did not take this idea with them. Commonalities between the two are that they both used similar stage backdrops, and their themes were rather similar. The Romans just seemed to perfect the Greeks in every way. Of the three Roman videos, i enjoyed Miles Gloriosus, because of the humor that was involved. It had originality in its humor and it had a better grasp on me than any of the other videos.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Brody: i agree with you that the Greek plays were slow moving and boring and that the Romans were much more entertaining
ReplyDeleteThe Roman style appeals a lot more to me than the Greek style. The Roman style to me is easier to follow and has a more action and humor in it. The major differences I see in the two styles are that in the Greek style the plot is hard to follow and it's slow moving, but in the Roman the plot is much easier to follow and it moves at a faster pace. Also, the Greeks wore masks but the Romans didn't. I noticed that both styles used music with the production, and the back drop had the same type of theme. Of the Roman videos, I prefered Miles Glorious, because it seemed to have more humor than all of the other videos and that always entertains me.
ReplyDeletereponse to tyler: I agree with you that the originality of the humor in the Roman theater was very interesting
ReplyDeleteI prefer the Greek theatrical style to the Roman because I feel that there is more passion and feeling in it compared to the Romans'. I find that the main differences between the two are the pace of the plays, the plot elements, the subject matters, and the presentation by the actors. The main influences that I found from the Greeks in Roman theatre are the stories from myth being brought into dramatic form and the interaction of multiple cast members together to advance the plot. The play I thought was the most interesting was Eumenides because I appreciate the more traditional and classical style of storytelling with the straight-forward plot.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Justin Scheuner:
I disagree with your opinion that the Greek style of theatre is not as evolving or fast-paced as the Roman style. The Greek style was more up-tempo and dynamic than the Romans', and was more effective in its power to bring the plot elements to the forefront of what the Greek people wanted to see in theatre.
I enjoyed the Greek style over the Roman, because of the rhythmic and simple style of it. The Roman seemed to astray from the plot, and harder to follow while the Greek style provided good action combine with a solid plot. The greek style seems much more traditional than the Roman's. The Roman style seemed more relaxed and relevant to people's lives, but the Greek style seemed more thought provoking. They both, however, share some themes in the plays themselves, and both use fairly simple spectacle. The Greek's style was more interesting, because of its difference. The Greek style is not something often seen today and it brought a new element to the stage that I had not been exposed to.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Stephen Kelly:
I disagree with you that the Greek style is slow moving and harder to follow. The Greek style maintained a fairly steady flow of action, and also explained the story as it was acted.
I preferred the Roman style over that of the Greek. The Roman theatre had more elements that are common to our modern theatre it seemed. The comedy I found in the Roman works appealed to me more. The major difference between the styles is that it seemed the Greeks used more song and chants than did the Romans. The Roman style also appears to connect more so with the common man that did the Greek. The Roman theatre shared some common traits like they both had costumes although flambouyancy of them varied. I liked the humor that came from Miles Gloriosus.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Steepleton: The Roman ones did seem to astray from the plot at times, but it was done in good taste in my opinion.
The style that appeals to me more is the Roman style of theatre. The reason why I have chose this style is because it is easier for me to understand. In the Greek style they are all wearing clay masks and hard to know which is talking or what is going on. The differences I noticed were that the Romans were more relaxed and didnt focus on the gods as much as the Greeks did but the lives and everday events of the people. The similarities that I noticed were that they both used music and costumes. The Romans seemed to take the Greeks acting style and perfect it. The play that I enjoyed the most was Miles Glorious because it had more humor than the other ones did.
ReplyDeleteResponse to William Norman: The comedy in the Roman plays appealed towards me as well.
I'd have to say I liked the Roman style of theatre more, in my own personally opinion. The reason why I chose Roman is because it appeals more to me, it's easily understood, and I find it more interesting than the Greek style of theatre. The major differences I see is that, the Roman styles like more artistic to me, and the greek styles look very confusing to me, also. They both represent an own meaning behind the scenes or pictures, to me. They both probably have a pretty big meaning behind them. Even though I prefer Roman over Greek. I liked the clip 'EUMENIDES' just because we saw it in class, and I sort of understand the big meaning behind the scenes of the play.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Zach: I thought the Roman style was easier to understand also.
ReplyDeleteAfter watching these videos, it seems to me that the Roman style of theatre appears more than the Greek. The Roman style appeals to me because it more modern in acting. I like it because there is more action, comedy, and love involved. There are several differences between these two styles. I noticed that the Roman style had more dialogue and used many different schemes and plots. I got confused easily when watching the Greek theatre. However; Greek thearte did have a large influence on the Romans. Both styles built on the struggles faced by the people of that time period. Although I believe the Romans expanded the Greek style. The play "Miles Gloriosus" appealed most to me because of the humor it used. It was one of the easiest I could relate to, understand, and enjoy.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Michael Steepleton:
ReplyDeleteI disagree with you in saying that the Greek theatre is understandable. Although some of the plays were decent in construction and plot, the Roman theatre simply out-acted them. The humor alone drew me in to the Roman aspect on theatre.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe roman style appeals more to me.
ReplyDeleteI chose roman style because it seems to have more action and is more exciting. There is even a funny clip of roman style.
In the Greek style they use masks and talk different and use chanting. Roman style seems to be brighter and Greek is dark. Both use different types of scenery. The costumes the Greek use are more covering and the roman costumes show more skin.
Roman style is more of just speaking and orating things. Greek seems to be centered more on singing and music.
Both use a variety of costumes, props, and great dialect.
Plautus because it was actually very fun and different from what I usually think of roman theatre being.
Response to Blog 4:
ReplyDelete1) I like the Roman style much more.
2) My favorite aspect of any play/movie/tv show is the dialogue. That is why my 2 favorite movies are The Godfather and Pulp Fiction. The Greek style simply doesnt have very good dialogue. The Roman style's dialogue has more depth and develpment to it. I also dont care for the Greek styles use of music.
3)The Roman style's writing seems to be much more relient on the acctual content over the way it is delivered. I also liked how the Roman dialogue reall sounded like something a human would accualy say. And at 3:44 of Miles Gloriosus made me smile.
4)The use of period costumes and set pieces is common in both of the styles. And the costumes of both styles are very similar. Another similiarity is the lighting, most of the plays are set in very low lighting, I think that this dramatically changes the mood of the play.
5) I prefered Miles Gloriosus. It had the most interesting story elements and dialogue to me, it was also the only one of the plays that showed even a hint of humor at all.
Response to Cody Costa: I also agree that the lady in Phaedra has a knife. And yes, that is cool.
ReplyDeleteThe Roman style appeals to me more mainly because it seems more thought out and not so plain and dull. It also seems to focus or more than just the gods. The main diffrene is that the Greek style is way more formal and it seems as though they are trying to be to perfect in the play while the roman is more open and not so blatent and onl focused on one thing. Another thing is tht the charactors are more diverse and dont all look and act the same. Greek influences their style on Roman style in that they both reflect what the people were like at the time, in other they both kept up with their modern times. They also keep the gods at the top of their focusses in their plays. Miles Gloriosus was the best play out of the Roman style because it was very entertaining and funny.
ReplyDeleteMy Response to T.J.: Miles Gloriosus did have the most inersting story elements and diologue no doubt.
1) The theatrical style that I like more out of Roman and Greek would have to be Roman.
ReplyDelete2) I like the Roman style more because it is funnier than the Greek style and not as plain as Greek theatre. Roman style is more risky and bawdy than Greek style which is more entertaining than the ritualistic style of the Greeks.
3) A major difference is the way they acted on stage. Romans were more risky on stage and had more movements and more regular real-life movements than that of the Greeks. The Greeks were more ritualistic on stage and stayed in one place.
4) The similarity between the two theatrical styles would be the number of people on stage. In both Greek and Roman styles, they kept the amount of people on stage to a limited number keeping it at a low number.
5) The video that was the most interesting video to me was the Roman style video “Mike Gloriosus.” This video was my favorite because it was the most entertaining out of all the play’s videos.
response to Justin SKinner:
ReplyDeletei think a bunch of us thought the Mike Gloriosus play was the best because of its bawdy attitude and riskiness
1. I like the greek style more then roman.
ReplyDelete2. The reason I like the Greek style more is because it takes place in the time much older then the roman style. I like old art better.
3. The Greek style dealt with more spiritual elements as where the Roman style was more modern.
4. Both styles used the same type of costumes and scenery.
5. I like the Greek video because it dealt with a gothic style of ancient worshiping. It's something about that I like.