A place where Education and Theatrical Arts merge with Student Thought to foster greater understanding of the World of Acting.
THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE
Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams
September 20, 2010
Theatre History Blog 6
DUE WEDNESDAY 9/22/10 BY 8:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG6 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Paul Cianciolo response to Blog 6:
ReplyDeleteRonde Mon Amy
There seems to be no basic message in the skit, but there are a few clues that can help me make a decent guess. The people who, all have on mask, are celebrating a ritual around a man that seems to be somewhat of a priest. The people surrounding this priest are being blessed by the incense the priest is holding. The people that were blessed by the priest disperse and the priest sits down directly in the middle of everyone. One of the people in the crowd looks towards to the balcony to receive approval from his master or possibly father. The father approves of his sons decision. The son goes before the priest and removes his mask. This act seems to be like a sacrifice of giving one’s soul. The masks resemble the souls in how everyone has one.
Spem In Alium
This piece of music actually spoke to me in its beautiful layering of the voices. I felt like I was looking into the eyes of God on judgment day. The female voices resembled my hopes of being with God and the male voices in the background resemble my struggle with sin. The female voices eventually drown out the male voices and send me into eternal bliss with God. The message I felt was that faith in God will always conquer evil.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
This part of the play is about Lysander’s change of heart, because of forest creature named Puck. Lysander is in love with the servant Hermia, but she feels their friendship is more important than their love. Puck finds Hermia and Lysander sleeping one night and feels sorry for Lysander not being able to have Hermia’s love. Puck gives Lysander a spell on his eyes that will allow him to have the love of the first person he sees when he wakes up (hoping this person would be Hermia). Lysander is actually woken up by a woman he knows named Helena, who is also lost in the forest. Lysander falls madly in love with Helena and he refuses to hear no when attempting to have her heart. He leaves Hermia who is still asleep and follows Helena across the forest. The irony of the act comes when Helena wakes up alone without her loyal friend. Her inability to love Lysander has caused her to lose him to another woman.
Vince Correale response to blog 6:
ReplyDeleteRonde Mon Amy
The main purpose of this story seems to be hidden. From what I saw I was able to gather that this scene showed similarities to being knighted by the queen of England. The large group of people seemed to be there to honor the man. He looked up on the balcony to an authoritative figure to gain his approval. The man was being singled out for some sort of heroic action.
Spem In Alium
This was a very uplifting and relaxing piece. As soon as it started playing I thought of the music of the catholic church. It was a perfect example of Renaissance music. I feel that the blending of the male and female voices was what made this piece of music serene and entertaining.
Midsummer Night's Dream
Hermia refuses to love Lysander. In doing so, Lysander and Hermia do not share the same bed in the forest. In the middle of the night a man stumbles upon Lysander and hermia and he castes a spell on Lysander so that he will fall in love with the next woman that he sees. Instead of seeing Hermia first he sees Helen whom he falls in love with. Helen tries to tell him that he loves Hermia but he denies it and says that the only one that he loves is Helen. They run off together before Hermia wakes up. When she does wake up she is frightened and upset that Lysander ran away from her. The complicated plot of this story exemplifies the difference of the Renaissance theatre from theatre of the Medieval period. The plots were much more in depth and thought out as well as entertaining.
Response to Paul Cianciolo:
ReplyDeleteThat is an interesting way of describing Spem In Alium. I would have never thought of it as representing judgement day. I think that your interpretation sums it up very well. Especially the part where you said faith in God will always conquer evil.
Response to Vince Correale:
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your description of the play, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Your clear description helped me realize the scene was a subplot of the entire play and that the play itself was far past the Neoclassic influence. I also was able to see how much more in depth the plot was.
Complications arise in the forest. Oberon and Titania, King and Queen of Fairies, are locked in a dispute over a boy whom Titania has adopted. Oberon instructs his servant Puck to bring him magic love drops, which Oberon will sprinkle on the Queen's eyelids as she sleeps, whereupon Titania will fall in love with the first creature she sees upon awakening. Meanwhile, Helena and Demetrius have also fled into the woods after Lysander and Hermia. Oberon, overhearing Demetrius's denouncement of Helena, takes pity upon her and tells Puck to place the magic drops upon the eyelids of Demetrius as well, so that Demetrius may fall in love with Helena. Puck, however, makes the mistake of putting the drops on the eyelids of Lysander instead. Helena stumbles over Lysander in the forest, and the spell is cast; Lysander now desires Helena and renounces a stunned Hermia.
ReplyDeleteResponse to Paul Cinciola:
ReplyDeletePaul, I enjoyed your description of your the play, because it really made sense to me.
In response to blog 6:RONDE MON AMY: From watching part of this play I can honestly conclude I have no idea what is going on. The message seems to be hidden deep inside the music and portrayed through the costumes and music. Honestly in the beginning I felt as if I was watching a séance or some kind of demonic worship service. Based on the fact that this performance is from the renaissance I can assume the acting and costumes were influenced from Greek drama.
ReplyDeleteSpem in Alium: This piece of music to me is like a fable, telling the progression of someone’s life. I feel that this piece was created to give the listener the feeling of the past, present, and future of life and what is in store for them. This piece portrays the hardships of life within its rhythm and melodies. The best way I can describe it is like the music in The Lord of the Rings. The music sets you up for a great journey into the un-known where anything is possible.
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM: It seems like everyone has a hidden agenda for Hermia. This is a tragedy of present and pass loves, and the ones who are drove insane by love. Other than that I honestly have no idea what us going on. Although I can speculate that both the woman wants Lysander. It seems like Helena and Hermia both are trying to play games to trick Lysander into falling for one instead of the other. Although this is all speculation because honestly these kind of plays make me want to stop breathing. There hard to understand way to many analogies for how they feel about one and another.
In response to Ryan Lafferty:
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your synaposise of what happened in the play, it was like reading spark notes. It was straight forward, geat content and potrayed all the main charactors and their feelings.
After watching the wonderful first skit I really thought hard to find a purpose of message and I was not able to find one unfortunately. What I saw I was able to gather that this scene showed similarities to being knighted by the queen of England. It looked like someone was being knighted or something to that extent. In the video all the actors have masks on so it is hard to decipher who the actors are. In the video the people with masks on seem to be honoring the people in the middle. The man was being singled out of a courageous action. To me spem in alium is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard at about five minutes in I had tears pouring down my face. What this work says to me is I have never put my hope in any other but in you, O God of Israel who can show both anger and graciousness, and who absolves all the sins of suffering man Lord God, Creator of Heaven and Earth be mindful of our lowliness. A Midsummer Night's Dream takes place in Athens. Theseus, the Duke of Athens, is planning his marriage with Hippolyta, and as a result he is a planning a large festival. Egeus enters, followed by his daughter Hermia, her beloved Lysander, and her suitor Demetrius. Egeus tells Theseus that Hermia refuses to marry Demetrius, wanting instead to marry Lysander. He asks for the right to punish Hermia with death if she refuses to obey. Theseus agrees that Hermia's duty is to obey her father, and threatens her with either entering a nunnery or marrying the man her father chooses. Lysander protests, but is overruled by the law. He and Hermia than decide to flee by night into the woods surrounding Athens, where they can escape the law and get married. They tell their plan to Helena, a girl who is madly in love with Demetrius. Hoping to gain favor with Demetrius, Helena decides to tell him about the plan.
ReplyDeleteryan that is so interesting!
ReplyDeleteI had a lot of trouble figuring out what this scene is about. It looks like a man is trying to get into a special group and this is his initiation. I don’t really like this too much. The director of the video looked like he kept replaying the same scenes. He mainly did this when he showed the crowd. He would have one scene, then another, then the same exact scene again. It got a little old after a while. If I am right about the story then I don’t think it’s a very good one. It is a cliffhanger too! You don’t even know if he made it or not.
ReplyDeleteI actually really like this song. You can really recognize the amount of time and the amount of talent that was put in to it. First, the director has to find people to sing eight parts for the soprano, alto, tenor and bass. It’s hard enough to find one person for each that is good enough to sing it professionally but eight seems almost impossible. Then the artists have to take turns doing octaves and what not. This must have taken a very long time to perfect and this choir did a great job with an extremely difficult piece.
This scene from the last link is a little hard to follow as well. What I have taken away from it is that the main character loves this blonde head girl. While they are sleeping, he gets a curse put on him that makes him fall in love with the first woman he sees. Another girl with black hair wakes him up and he instantly falls in love with her. She gets a little creped out and runs away. He chases her and leaves the blonde head y herself. I like this scene. It has a good story. Although the special effects were a little less than reputable, they still seemed well done for when this movie was made. I actually liked this movie a lot and don’t think I would mind watching the entire film.
Austin Rudolph response to blog 6:
ReplyDeleteRonde Mon Amy
Like others have said, there doesn’t seem to be a real message in Ronde Mon Amy. To me this story seemed ritualistic. The ritual aspect of this story is shown through the man gaining the approval of the two people on the balcony and by him standing before the authoritative figure. The burning of incents, the music, and the clothing and masks worn by the people help set this mood.
Spem in Alium
This beautiful piece was very relaxing. Listening to this music just made me stop and reflect on my life. In this song, you could not just have the female voices, or just the male voices. When you combine the two, then you have the feeling of perfect harmony.
Midsummer Night’s Dream
Love is in the air in this story. Whether it is good or bad is a matter of opinion. Lysander and Hermia do not share the same bed because Hermia does not love him. Once they fall asleep, a green man shows up and explains the situation. A spell is then casted on Lysander so that he falls in love with the next woman he sees. He is supposed to see Hermia first but instead he sees Helen and falls in love with her. Helen tries to explain that he is in love with the wrong person but they go off together before Hermia wakes up. Later, Hermia finally wakes up and is angry that Lysander left her.
MY RESPONSE TO Cody Costa
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the first link is hard to decipher. I had no idea what was going on. I don't know how you knew so much about the last video either. I was very vaugue with my description and it looks like you knew every detail.
Response to Brody Jameson:
ReplyDeleteI agree with your idea of an initiation in the first story. You dont really get a chance to see what happened because it ends and leave you in suspense.
Ronde Mon Amy: From what I concluded from the play, I realize that the meaning of the play is hidden within the movements and actions of the individuals of the play. It is almost that the play is reaching back to its pagan rituals and rites, celebrating a priest of some sort, or even offering one's own self to a group. When one character looks to the balcony, it is almost that he is seeking approval from a higher power to reveal one's own self to the priest.
ReplyDeleteSpem in Alium: This piece of music spoke to me in a spiritual/religious level. The angelic voices of the women and the deep voices of men show the allegorical and spiritual battle between the good forces and bad forces of the world. The music goes on the show that the angelic female voices win over the evil male voices.
A Midsummer Night's Dream: The two lovers show their love for one another in the beginning of the play. But the female shows that she is not taking their relationship further when they do not sleep together. The faun/mystical creature comes and discovers the two and casts a spell on the man and then runs off in love with another female character other than his first love. The elements of Greek theatre are shown in the dialogue, and the simple characters show the influence of Medieval theatre. The combination of the two show Renaissance theatre.
My response to Austin Rudolph: I agree, Ronde Mon Amy seems to be ritualistic as show with the gestures of the characters and the centralization of one character, the priest like figure. The revealing of one of the characters is done after the seeking of approval from a higher source. This Renaissance piece almost seems Medieval in plot.
ReplyDeleteAfter watching Ronde Mon Amy three times, I still could not figure out what was going in, so I will make my best guess. The one man wearing red seems to be the leader of some kind of ceremony, in which all the others are participating in.
ReplyDeleteSpem in Altium was a very relaxing and calming piece of music. I think that it was a song to God, thanking Him for all that he gives us. Watching the video helped me realize that God gives us all things, and we should notice the simple things in life, such as nature.
In A Midsummer Night's Dream, there is a big circle of love going on, in which no two people love each other. It is a tragedy, which goes back to the Greek roots of theatre. However, it is also somewhat comedic in that all the people love someone, but not the one who loves them.
Response to Vince Correale:
ReplyDeleteI agree with your thought about the first video. I could not figure out what that piece was about, and I believe you may be right.
The story is a bit unclear, but it seems to be some sort of initiation process. All the people around the person in the red robe are celebrating something he is being accepted into or something he has done. Everyone around him look as though they are judging him and either admiring or seeing if he is worthy for what he is trying to gain admittance to.
ReplyDeleteSpem In Alium is very impressive to me because of the fact that it is entirely vocals. Each voice is giving layers that the next one builds off of and complements. It reminded me of the chant that monks do. It seemed to have some religious influence to it. The music is very calm and me in a peaceful state of mind.
A Midsummer Night's Dream is a story of conflict between a woman and her father. Her father wants her to marry someone she does not want. It seems as though everyone in the story is trying to convince her of something, of what I am not entirely sure. It is difficult for me to understand the way they talk. But the plot seems interesting. I think there should be plays like these that are put into more modern English, i think this would grab a bigger audience for theater in. If this where to happen I think theater would be much bigger in todays society.
Response to Cody Robinson: I agree with your criticism of the language used in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM. But I think if it was in modern English you would enjoy it much more
ReplyDeleteRonde Mon Amy
ReplyDeleteI think that this scene has something to do with a ceremony of initiation possibly into some sort of knighthood. The mood is rather light but jubilant and the burning of incense, the masks, and the elaborate movements of the people help to set this mood. It seems as if I would need to know more information leading up to this scene in order to understand its full meaning. To me the most puzzling aspect is as to why it was necessary to show the two men recognizing each other.
Spem in Alium
While listening to this piece, I was overcome with thoughts about how hard the composer must have worked to put this together and how hard the performers must have worked to perfect the sound. 9 minutes is a long time to sing in 5-piece harmony like that and they did a very amazing job. The piece made me reflect on my surroundings and myself and really calmed me down.
A Midsummer Night's Dream
This scene is interesting to follow because the man ends up loving the wrong woman. At first he loves the blonde headed woman, but while he is asleep a green man comes along and puts a curse on him that he will fall in love with the first person that he sees when he wakes up. It is meant that he sees the blonde woman first but in fact a black haired girl comes along and wakes him up and he falls in love with her. She tries to explain to him that he is supposed to be in love with the blonde girl but he doesnt listen and they end up going off together and leaving the blonde girl. When she wakes up, the blonde girl is actually upset that the man left her.
RONDE MON AMY: In this skit, I looked over it a few times and honestly couldn't find what the main plot of it was. What I gathered from it was it seemed to be some sort of ceremony or ritual. The person in the red garments in the center seemed to be giving off incense to the people surrounding him. Based on the Renaissance period though, it seems to be some sort of play connected with the queen of England.
ReplyDeleteSPEM IN ALIUM: This is an amazing piece of music. The 40 voices all put together creates an incredible collaboration of notes and different octaves. This piece to me is very spiritual; it is very relaxing and it helped me think on a lot of things. I can picture angel-like figures singing this upon me entering heaven, it just gives me that feeling.
A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT DREAM: What i gathered from this is that the man loves the woman with the blonde hair, but it seems that she doens't feel the same way. So he goes and sleeps separately from her, and while he is sleeping, some man comes and, with some sort of flower, puts a curse on the man. The curse was that the man will fall in love with the first woman that he sees. This one woman with darker hair is in the forest also and wakes the man. As soon as he sees her, he falls in love with her, but she's a little freaked out so she runs away. The man chases after her, leaving the blonde woman all alone
response to Patrick: I agree with your opinion on Spem in Alium, it really made me relaxed and calmed me down
ReplyDeleteMy response to Austin R:
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on your views of the second link. The music was very relaxing to listen to. In fact, I almost caught myself falling asleep, not because of boredom, but because the music took a lot of tension and stress out of me.
This had pretty clique fanatical music to it, but I did see no forest or elves or fairies or half dear half female characters that people typically see with this set of music. In fact I’m quite shocked to notice what looked like a dark occult practice. The second kind of music made me think of knights and huge chivalry but instead we get more people of this occult practice being presented. I also noticed a guy in soot and tie!!!!!!! Thats nothing that connects with this kind of music. In fact Im shocked to see someone dressed like that at all during this time period!!!!!!!!!!! I was soooooooooo shocked to notice the people were using Ancient Greek masks and cloaks, yet their actual clothes are far more advanced.
ReplyDeleteAt first, I hear a quire, which sounds likes females until I realize that they could be of any sex. To me, the quire is trying to give its audience peaceful feel, and I am defiantly reassured of this when I see the pictures. By the way, I don’t get why the comments say they are bad powerpoint graphics. What I find the most amazing of all, however, is that they had forty people all singing at the same time because it sounded only like five or six. When I listened more acutely, I noticed that I heard all different pitches of singing. I can’t make out what the people are saying so this doesn't mean much to me. This does, however, give me the feel of a very peaceful seen with a white clothed quire singing in a chapel with rays of light shining in. My thought are probably very stereotypical and if I saw the song live, Im sure i would be totally wrong.
Its rather hard to make out what is happening, but to me, this man and this woman are in the woods and they are lost. They need a place to sleep so they stop where they are, say there prayers and start to sleep. Then, a man finds the man and woman and notices they are dressing like Athenians and seems to hate the Athenians and seem to be jealous of the sleep male. The woodsman puts a course on the Athenian man. I can;t really make out what the woods woman was up to, but I do realize she doesn't think she is beautiful. The woods woman finds the Athenian man and they both argue over the mans value for the girls he was with. My synopses may be confusing and it might possibly be wrong. After that, it seems as if the Athenian m,an wants to be with the woods woman named Helen, except I do not know how they know each other. The Athenian girl is mad she got ditched.
To me, this play is rather silly and rather old. It could talk more clearly to the people of our time if it spoke our English. This form of English is way to indirect for me.
My Response to Austin Rudolph
ReplyDeleteI think everything has a message, whether it is bad or good or neither it does not mater. The first play to me told me that the people of the Renaissance were much further along in society than I had realized.
1. Well the music sounds really good and enjoying. It sounds like a big medieval theme. And the music sounds like what a fool or somebody funny would be dancing to for the King. The story of this play looks like it is a religious start and when it shows the faces on the people it reminds me of a bunch of different people coming together and celebrating religion.
ReplyDelete2. Basically the music to me is soothing and enjoying. It relaxes me and if I was ever stressed out or anything I would listen to this song and it would relax me. This music says to me that there are relaxing times coming and that there will be a new start. And it also says to me that peace is upon us and that God is with us were ever we go and he will never let us go.
3. Hermia refuses to love Lyslander. And in the forest Lyslander and Hermia do not share the same bed. And a man walks up on Lyslander and Hermia so the man castes a spell on Lyslander and the spell was that he will fall in love with the next girl he sees. Lyslander ends up falling for Helen. And Helen told Lyslander that he didn’t love her and all. But she tried her hardest but Lyslander told her that she was the only one he loved. And before Hermia woke up they ran off together and Hermia was upset cause Lyslander left her. The plot is so complicated that it sets the Renaissance theatre away from the medieval part.
To Stephen kelley
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the 40 voice part it was amazing and really awesome to hear. And I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you did.
Ronde Mon Amy
ReplyDeleteIn this first video there wasn't a lot going on. The message in this I am unclear about i believe it has something to do with religion though. I think this was some type of ritual or worship service to the man in red in the middle.
Spem in Alium
This music to me doe not say a lot. It sounds like some kind of religious opera. It seems kind of relaxing but other than that I did not get anything out of it.
A Midsummer Night's Dream
In this play I gathered that the man loves the first woman but the feeling is not the same. He would like to share the same bed with her but she doesnt want to. The man goes off to sleep alone and gets a spell cast on him to where he will ffall in love with the next woman he sees. He is woken up by a 2nd woman and immediaetly falls in love with her but she runs away. The man chases her leaving the first woman all alone.
Response to Austin
ReplyDeleteThe music in the second one was relaxing but i do not see how you liked the music in the first one.
Ronde Mon Amy
ReplyDeleteI had no idea what was going on throughout this video. However, I think that it was a ritualistic induction ceremony. I think it is an induction ceremony because of the people are him, the ritual performed at the beginning, and the several minutes standing in front of the supposed king. Or maybe the scene was a trial. The rituals before the trial, the multitude of people, and the minutes where the man was standing in front of the king/judge could represent him stating his defense.
Spem in Alium
This song has many perceptions. It's calming effect is effective on me. When I listened to this song, I got the sense that it was describing a man's struggle with right and wrong throughout his life. The men's low voices would represent sin, and the female's high voice would represent triumph over wrong and doing the right thing. I just imagined that the harmony throughout it would be the coexistence of right and wrong, and the female's voice drowns out the men's, representing the overall good nature of mankind.
A Midsummer's Night Dream
It starts out as a scene with which Lysander and Hermia are professing their love for each other before they goto sleep in the forest. However, Puck comes around and puts a potion on Lysander's eyes to make him fall in love with the first person he sees when he wakes up. Helena ends up waking him, and Lysander will kill Demetrius to have her. Helena thinks it is a trick, and runs off. Lysander follows, leaving Hermia alone in the woods. Trickery and superstition lead Lysander away from his true love, and in pursuit of a false one.
Response to Zach:
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the Ronde Mon Amy, it was confusing and I also believe that it did have to do with a religious ritual or service to the head man. Spem in Alium was by far one of the toughest to decipher.
Ronde mon Amy sounds like music that would be played for the king of England years ago. It's like music troubadours would play. In the video, the people are wearing kind of scary looking masks and black robes. In the middle there is a man wearing a red robe and is putting incense in the air while he is guarded by men in blue robes. It looks like they are performing a ritual but it seems almost satanic. It is very dramatic. Spem in Alium is a group of beautiful voices coming together in almost a chant. Each voice carries its own part. It starts off soft and then builds to a crescendo. It is very peaceful music. the pictures are of pretty rural landscapes then old ruins and random people. They go well with the music. A Midsummers Night Dream is Renaissance theatre because it has alot of characters with English speech patterns. It is a convoluted story about lovers who have a trick played on them by the fairy Puck. Lysander and Hermia are in love and fall asleep in the forrest. Puck is supposed to put magic drops in the eyes of Demetrius to make him fall in love with Helena. He mistakenly puts them in Lysanders eyes and he awakes to Helena who he falls in love with. She thinks he is making fun of her and Hermia is heart broken.
ReplyDeleteThe first one seems to be a possible religious ritual by the clothing worn and the structure looks like one from a cathedral from the Renaissance Period. At the same time, the masks do not seem like anything that would be in any type of religious service. The two figures shown at 2:18 seem to show some type of evil with their type of masks. There is no clear message, but it seems like a religious ritual of the time.
ReplyDeleteThe second one also seems to be religious. It is much like the music that can be hear at a Christian Church, especially one from the Renaissance Period.
In this last one the man really seems to love the woman with with the blond hair, but she does not share the same feelings. Because he loves her, he wants to share the same bed as her, but the woman refuses. As a result, he sleeps alone and a supernatural man comes up to him and sets a spell that makes him fall in love with the first woman he sees. He sees another woman when he wakes up and intimidately falls in love with her and chases after her. The first woman he was originally in love with is alone and sad.
Response to Cody: Very good job at noticing the similarities between the first clip and being crowned before in England. I never noticed that until now
First clip: Ronde Mon Amy. Judging by the way the clip is presented at the start it looks as if its in a place where the people are in some kind of ritual or church service. The character in the red outfit looks like he isthe overseer of the whole thing or is the leader of what is going on. As it progressed one person seemed like he or she was picked out to stand before the person in red. From this it either looked like he or she was going to recieve a great honor or maybe something bad was going to happen to that person. From the music that was used it seemed like the occasion was one of some kind of celebration or just a plain ritual.
ReplyDeletesecond clip:spem in alium: The music to me has a very christian church feel but at the same time feltlike it could be music that is used ina movie for some type of sad or serious scene. I really thought that the music was interesting in the fact that once i listened to it a few times it was possible to hear all of the voices and really hear the many that come together to make this really good piece.
Third clip: A Midsummer Night's Dream: In this clip what i really got out of is it was that it seemed like both the man and the first girl really love each other beacause at the start they are talking about how much they love each other but when the man wants the girl to sleep with him in his own bed she does not want to. After this happens they both fall asleep and the fairy comes to the man in his sleep and places a spell on him to fall in love with the first girl that he sees. As soon as he awakens he sees the second girl and instantly falls in love with her and chases after her leaving the first girl behind in tears.
Response to Austin Rudolph: I agree with you that the second clip Spem in Alium was a very relaxing peice and made me want to reflect on my own life as well.
ReplyDeleteIn “Ronde Mon Amy,” there seemed to be a ceremony going on. It seemed like a religious or church ceremony with the smoke and the way the people were kneeling at first. Then it seemed to turn into a court scene where the man was standing in front of a guy sitting in a chair, a judge, and people watching what was happening. The motions of the people had very good rhythm. Everyone had the same basic costume on except the masks that were elaborate and fancy. The music seemed very happy but the movements and emotions of the people were somber like, so I am not sure what exactly what was going on.
ReplyDeleteIn “Spem In Alium,” there were forty voices used to create an amazing sound that reminds us of nature and how beautiful our world is. This song relates music to nature. The way the sound of forty voices joins together to make one song is like how nature joins everything on the earth to form one world. It started of very quiet and got louder at points which are kind of like the ups and downs of life and nature.
In this excerpt from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” the guy tries to fall asleep next to the girl but the girl wants to keep her virtue so they separate for sleep. Then a girl comes around to the guy telling him something and he wanders off from the sleeping girl to try to kill another man. The sleeping girl awakes from a bad dream, where a serpent ate her heart. When she calls for the boy, she realizes he was gone and gets scared of the wild among her.
in response to michael guerrero:
ReplyDeletewhen you said that in the first clip at the end it could be that he could be awarded an honor, i think you were correct. listening to the music it doesnt seem bad to be a court case like i thought so i believe you are correct
Ronde Mon Amy:
ReplyDeleteThis video appears to be some sort of initiation into some sort of society or organization, which is evident from the gathering of the people in a circle around the inductee and the person who appears to be the leader or head seated on a throne. I think the music is a classical Renaissance themed piece which goes very well with the masquerade-type appearance of the play.
Spem in Alium:
When I heard this piece, I understood how complex the composition of it was, and how much effort must have gone into the formation of it. It feels very powerful and soothing to listen to, like it could be the musical score for an epic film like the Lord of the Rings or something of that nature.
A Midsummer Night's Dream:
Lysander is in love with Hermia, until he is cursed in his sleep to fall in love with the next person he sees when he awakes. He is awakened by Helena and immediately falls in love with her, despite her love for Demetrius.
Response to Patrick Sweeney:
ReplyDeleteI agree with your interpretation of Ronde Mon Amy. I believe that the ceremony has to be an induction or an initiation of some sort, but it is very hard to interpret.
Ronde Mon Amy:
ReplyDeleteIt is very hard for me to interpret what is going on in this video because i wasnt given any background to the story but my guess would go along with the others in saying that it looked like a ceremony of some sorts and possibly a knighting of someone. The elaborate moving and masks make me think it is a ceremony but even after watching it multiple times im not totally sure.
Spem in Alium:
This piece sounded much like a hymn you would sing in church except alot better. ALl of the voices blended perfectly and each person gave there own qualities of sound to it. It was very peaceful and relaxing to me and when i watched the video the pictures of scenery and ruins went along with the music very well and added to the peaceful mood. I think it helps us realize that we must enjoy the wonderous miracles of GOd.
A midsummer Nights Dream:
This video shows a love triangle where people are in love with each other but known of the people they love love them back. IT starts out with a guy and a girl who r in love but they go to sleep and a fairy places a spel on the boy that causes him to fall in love with the next girl he sees which unfortunately isnt the girl from the beggining. so this starts a big problem where everyone is loving someone different.
Response to Andrew: i agree with you about the scenery and ruins formt he video going along well with the music and how the music was very peaceful.
ReplyDeleteRONDE MON AMY
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the classical music of this scene, but was a little confused about the message. It seemed to be the introduction of a stranger before a court of people or before a religious group. There seems to be a ceremonial aspect to it as well as a presence of community leaders or of high authority.
SPEM IN ALIUM
This music made me picture myself in the Renaissance time period. The music along with the pictures helped set a peaceful tone which seemed to transport me into Renaissance times. It made me reflect on the way life must have been in that time period.
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM
In this clip it seemed as if the first couple are in love, but for some reason they chose to sleep separately. Then some sort of fairy comes and make sit where the man will love the first girl that he sees, and he sees a different girl. The obvious theme in this is romance which started to gain ground in Renaissance times.
Response to Adrian Vivar:
I agree with you that it would not make sense to have those masks if it was some sort of religious ceremony.
RONDE MON AMY
ReplyDeleteAnything with cloaks and masks has got to have a sinister undertone. While the music was similar to what is often heard in reenactments of medieval parties, the costumes and pageantry surrounding the music created a creepy environment. While this was clearly some type of ritual, I’m not sure what message it was trying to convey.
SPEM IN ALIUM
This music, like much of the coral music of that period, has a spiritual theme. It makes me envision a large cathedral and worship services from the renaissance period. It is obviously very technical in nature with emphasis on the soprano parts.
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM
This clip seems to have more of a Renaissance style since it deals more with love and human emotions. While the man obviously has confused emotions about the first woman, a fairy casts a spell on him to make him fall in love with the first person he sees (who he assumes will be the first woman) when he awakens. Unfortunately, someone else comes into the picture and he sees her first. He immediately falls in love with the second woman, leaving the first woman very surprised at his sudden change of attitude when she awakens. Thank goodness the first person he saw when he awoke was a woman.
Ronde Mon Amy
ReplyDeleteThe cloaks were simple in color scheme but kinda different in design. They definitely seemed to be performing a ritual, that off which I am unsure. The guy in red/orange seems to be like a priest of sorts to me. The work was confusing to me.
Spem In Alium
The music was phenomenal. Literally one of the best vocal works I've heard. The talent it must have taken to perform it is incredible to say the least. This piece made me actually feel lighter in a way that I cannot describe so simply.
A Midsummer's Night's Dream
This work is definitely of the Renaissance style. It's rhyme schemes through iambic pentameter is clearly written for the English language as it would not have the same effect if written int he traditional Latin. It's use of emotional displays and mystery is really entertaining. The work is by shakespeare as well and that in its own right is more Renaissance than Roman in nature.
Response to wolfe: I agree, thank goodness it was a girl he saw first. It would have been really odd if it had not been one and the play continue with such a twist in the plot.
As I was watching the first skit, I was saying
ReplyDeleteto myself what am I watching. It was difficult
to grasp the concept of the meaning of it. By
looking at the setting, I could tell that it
could come from a Greek style of scenery.
The second one used a relaxed tone in which many
voices came together and produced a sensational
sound. This gave me a clue of how Renaissance
can be captured in the essence of music.
The last one was about a man who was in love
with a woman and his whole world slightly
changed when the woman of his dreams is not the
woman of his dreams. A spell was cast on him to
fall in love with the first person he sees.
Surprisingly it wasn't her at all. It was a
different woman and he had no choice but to fall
in love. This tradgic story is difinitely set
towards a Renaissance style of work.
my response to blog six:
ReplyDeleteRonde mon amy
This seems to be some sort of process in which the people are initiated into knighthood. While this part seemed to be obvious, I couldn't help but wonder if there is some underlying meaning behind the whole skit. A message, purposely written in the hopes that those who decipher and are able to recognize the true meaning will gain some knowledge on the outlook of life. In a Midsummer night's dream, this takes place during the Renaissance so it is obviously of Greek influence, as most people said. It is a story of love that can never be due to the fact that the man in the story is cursed with that fact that the first woman he sees in the morning is the woman he will fall in love with.To the dismay of his true lover, he sees a second woman, and their love would never be. In Spem in Alium, the music was incredible. While I am a fan of the more modern music, this genre had a certain euphora that just talked to me. It most likely had a spiritual theme as was the basis in that time period and was altogether spectacular.
In response to will coker, I agree with your outlook on Soem Alium in the fact that this is a wonderful piece. You describe it very well.
Justin Scheuner response to blog 6:
ReplyDeleteIn the first piece, it really struck me as a sort of hybrid of celebration, intiation, and solemnity. The music in the beginning is festive and upbeat, which somewhat goes along with what the video is showing--a celebration (a very unenthusiastic celebration at that). Then the music slows down a bit, still maintaining a festive mood, but adding a bit more seriousness to it. This plays into the video as it occurs right about the time that the "initiation" itself is beginning. As it continues to progress, the music slows down even more, and gets much deeper, to play on the solemn and serious mood which is depicted in the video. Ultimately, I felt that the music and the video did a good job of staying on the same page. In the second piece, the music really spoke to me in many different ways. Mainly, I felt, as I listened to the music, that I should be rejoicing while at the same time remembering to be reverent and serious. The high pitched notes played more into the rejoicing side of my feeling, while the deeper and longer notes seemed to have more of an effect on the somber side of my feelings. I feel that this piece would be good to play during a scene depicting possibly the carrying of a casket to a grave, which is a time of somber rejoicing, as we should rejoice that the dead person is in a better place, but be somber in that they are no longer with us. In the last piece, a lot is going on, as is typical in a Shakespeare work. The thing that stuck out to me was the character who spread the love potion on the eyes of the two sleeping people. He obviously was not aware that they were already in love, which is what I think of the two, as based on their speech to each other before they lay down to rest. Then, upon the young man awakening, he discovers the dirty-looking girl standing above him. He then speaks to her much in the same manner that he had spoken to the girl in the beginning of the video, as the love potion has obviously led to him falling in love with this new girl. This is quite humorous because it puts the other girl in an awkward position as she, assumably, still loves the guy (I believe his name is Lysander). Ultimately, this work is confusing, but I was able to pick out certain aspects that point to certain theatrical traditions. The language was rythmic, which was true of Greek theatre in its day. Also, there is an element of comedy that derives its humor on the nature of humans to seek frivilous things (the love potion is an example), which was prevalent in Roman theatre during its time.
Justin Scheuner response to Will Coker:
ReplyDeleteWill I agree with all that you said about the second piece. It was soothing for me also. The complexity and effort put into it were the first things that I noticed as well.
My Response to:
ReplyDeleteRonde Mon Amy
This piece to me is very, very confusing. This piece is very confusing and does not have a messgae, that I can figure out. After reading some of the other peoples' responses I would have to agree with them that it is very similiar to the queen knighting someone. The play is very confusing because everybody has masks on and it is very confusing to know what is going on. All of the actor's had different costumes on, but they all had the same masks on. It started like a ceremony, but ended up to me like a judging or court scene. Overall just a very confusing piece of art.
Spem in Alium:
This piece was very beautiful and, I'm sure, very time consuming and very, very complex. I loved this piece because the music was very lifting in a very different kind of way that I cannot explain. The music just made you feel almost like you were lighter and you had no worries when you were listening to the music in that piece. I loved this piece very much.
A Midsummer's Night's Dream:
I would have to agree with most of the class that this play was from the Reinassance peiod. I say that it is from the Reinassance period because it deals with human emotions and the emotion, love. The story is about a man who loves this first woman. When he goes to sleep a fairy casts a spell on him and when he awakens he will fall in love with the first person he sees. He wakes up and sees a woman first and ends up falling in love with her. The woman he is origianlly in love with is shocked by his decision.
Will Grisanti's Response to: Justin Scheuner
ReplyDeleteJustin I have to agree with you on the second piece. I agree with you that it is very soothing and some sort of rejoicing. I like how you tied it into rejoicing and being revrent at the same time.
In the first video it is obvious that it set in the middle agee, or what I think of as the middle ages. The music reminded me of the round table, and a time with kings, lords, and knights. What was not so obvious was the point of the video. What I gathhered was that the man that walked into the center of the circle is important since he is getting so close to the king.
ReplyDeleteThe second video, in my opinion is much like the first one in that it was lacking a point. The singing was pheonomanal, but the video was really random, I noticed that beginning said 40 voices, and you can really hear all of them, it really was a beautiful peice of music.The pictures throughout the video were very pretty and the landscape of some of the land tha they showed was also pretty, which goes perfectly with the singing.
In the clip from a midsummers night dream, what i think is going on is that two young lovers get lost in the woods, and they get so lost that they decide to call it a day. So they go to sleep and they wake up to find that another woman has wondered into the man's life.
Response to will grisanti: I aggree that the second peice was soothing as if i could play it when i go to sleep.
ReplyDeleteROnde Mon AMy
ReplyDeletei liked this play alot the music reminded me of the renaissance time period. i liked that use of masks that the characters hadon andi also liked the fact that the characters did not speak. in the renasiissance time period it was mostly about music. this play also has a bit of religion in it.in the begining it reminded me of catholicsim when the guy as waving areound the embers in front of the people. this says that the chrch played a vital role in the theatre int renaissance time period.
Spem in Alium
in this video the singing was beautiful. the differnet tones that were used to make up the song was beautiful. this music sounds like something i would hear in church or at a mass somehwere. it sounds ver hymnal. i like the song but not the video so much.
A midsummers night dream
the uses of athens reminds me of greek theatre. this play is about two lovers traveling through the forest and that get lost. the little green guy puts a spell on the guy that is asleep and he then falls in love with the other girl instead of the girl he was with and he now hates the other girl.
response to cody: cody where did you get that blog it is really good it sounds kinda like wikipedia.
ReplyDeleteIn Ronde Mon Amy I cannot find a clear cut meaning of what it means. I could tell that this was spiritual because of the person walking around with in incense. I think it was also ritualistic because there all those people there watching and some are participating.
ReplyDeleteSpem In Alium was a very interesting piece of work. It was very relaxing and made me feel better. I think the work is somewhat spiritual because it seems like an uplifting piece of work. The female voice really make the work great but the kind of bass effect the male voices have also add significantly to the song.
In A Midsummer Night's Dream there are two lovers in the woods. In the begging the woman refused to lay with the man. Then once they go to sleep a green guy appears. He casts a spell on the man and he runs away to another girl. It is medieval because the woods are dark and gloomy.
Response to Blog 6:
ReplyDelete1)This video looks almost exactly like a scene from Eyes Wide Shut. It reminds me of like an initiation into some nefarious organization. Maybe sex centered, like in Eyes Wide Shut.
2)I didnt care for this piece, but when I hear it, I think of church. It seems like it may be sung at the wedding of a prominent Italain noble. Or the maybe during the sacrament of holy orders. I also heard hints of saddness, so maybe it would be played during a funeral. It is lacking the fury and ambition of other pieces I have heard, so it wouldnt be played during a movies battle sequence. I really just didnt like it.
3)I believe that this clip is about 2 sets of young lover, each with seperate relationships that get caught up with the dealings of a tricky fairy named puck. Puck tries his best to trick the wo pairs into doing things they would never otherwise do.
In response to James Wolfe: I agree that Spem in Alium has a spiritual meaning.
ReplyDeleteThe music seems to relate to the ating as though eeeryone is below a powerful figure and everyone is scared to disobey them. When out of the crowd steps a hero willing to stand up against the powerful figure and the people love them.
ReplyDeleteThe music seems to grasp the sadness in a persons life in that all the people that they have known and either died or left hem in pain. Then all of a sudden all of the good things come out and make everyone happy!
The guy really wants to get with the girl, but she is sweet and just wants to rest. He tries to be tricky and get her to do new things they would not do.
ReplyDeleteMy response to Hunter Fick: Midsummers night dream does seem like a Greek play.